1929 Essex headlight switch removal and where to locate new one

Hello I have a 1929 Essex 2 door sedan and one of the tabs on the headlight switch for drivers side headlight the rivet for that tab broke. I can possibly sodder It back if I can't locate a new one. But I will need to remove it so I can turn it upside-down to sodder it. Does anyone know how to remove the headlight switch without breaking it?? My Essex shop manual doesn't have anything about it. Thank you. Chris

Comments

• On 29 Hudson headlight switch is made by Clum, back of center nut that holds it to the shaft and slide it off. Not sure about Essex. Clum switches show up on eBay now and then. They have a # stamped on them.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    There's a Clum switch on Ebay right now.  It's extraordinarily expensive, but you might want to jot down some information about it, so that you will know what to look for (and hopefully, pay less!)  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265329698085
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Another thought: you might do some research to find if the Clum switch for Essex is a close match with one for a more popular marque.  Maybe they're identical except for some easily-modified part.  You could then search for a repro (or original) for the OTHER marque, which (if it's more popular than the Essex) might be in more plentiful supply, or might even be repro'd by someone.  For example, if the one used on Model A's could be modified to fit the Essex, you'd have a better chance of finding one, and cheaper too.
  • Cph65
    Cph65 Member
    Thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated.