Hudson 8 Cam Shaft bearing set on eBay

Glowplug
Glowplug Expert Adviser
NOT MY AUCTION - Do not know seller

In past posts on this forum there have been numerous requests for sources for Hudson 8 Cam Shaft bearings.  This auction is for those bearings... posting for public service

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233862995789?hash=item3673521f4d:g:aP8AAOSwtfhYqj9e

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Wow that really starts the cash register going for restoring a H8!  I think I paid $30 i 1986.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    That guy’s shooting for the stars, just as he is asking $600 for this Hudson part!  
  • To be honest I have been looking for a set and the best, and only set I can find is priced at $950.  So the price that set sold for was not so bad.
  • 50C8DAN
    You might try Charlie Harris in NV to see if he has any if you cannot find any anywhere else.  He has hudson parts, as well as many others.  
  • how do I get a hold of Charlie?  
  • 50C8DAN
    Sorry it is Lester Harris and his number is (775) 267-2559  He is near Las Vegas
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Has anyone made them out of Aluminium. Alum comes in different grades soft to hard. Is the wall diam thick enough to coat a steel bush with white metal. Must be a way to reproduce them
  • That would be nice.  I have no idea of the process of making those bearings though, so it may be expensive to make.
  • Just gave Lester a call, no answer and the mailbox is full.  It's like calling Dale Cooper.  LOL.  
  • 50C8DAN
    I would keep calling him.  Never know.  Hopefully, he is still kicking!
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    try Heart machine service in Cecil Ohio. Just finished an Essex and they do tractors etc.

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    50C8DAN said:
    Sorry it is Lester Harris and his number is (775) 267-2559  He is near Las Vegas

Lester lives in Minden Nevada, just south of Carson City. 8 hours North of Las Vegas. Keep trying if you can't get a hold of him. He will be 92 years young this month.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    d50erock said:
    Just gave Lester a call, no answer and the mailbox is full.  It's like calling Dale Cooper.  LOL.  
    All the letters that I have written Lester have been returned to me.  In the past I spent three straight days calling 4 times a day to listen to unanswered rings in my ear. My goal has always been to buy from the HET folks who spend the time to collect and keep parts for those of us who drive and maintain HET cars.  Have yet to connect with Lester to make that happen from him.   Sad....
    \
  • 50C8DAN
    I bought some AMC lifters from him back in January.  He answered the phone every time. Not sure what the problem may be.  I don't have any other way to contact him.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    An interview with Lester in 2011.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEIN4Xjji8o

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    A great & knowledgeable guy. He sent pistons,rings & pins to me here in New Zealand before I could get a check to him as he didn't yet know the postage cost. He was able to cross-reference pistons to work in a '29 re-sleeved to std Essex block.
    We need more folk like Lester!!
    Dave Young (New Zealand)
  • Just an update.  I decided to machine 2 of the bearings I needed.  Both fit perfect.  Just finished cleaning up the block, time to reassemble.  
  • 50C8DAN
    Nice work.  You may have a career as a Hudson parts supplier!
  • 50C8DAN
    Does anyone know the situation with Lester Harris?
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Wow, that is amazing!  That is something I could use for my 37 8 cylinder engine.
  • KEL 39
    KEL 39 Member
    Any machine shop should be able to make these if you have the old bearings and give them the new OD of the cam. Better still give them the cam to measure. I do not think it would be over $900 

Ivan L.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I had a set machined out of aluminium bronze some years ago, no big deal.