308 flat top cam swap for standard and fuel efficiency

2»

Comments

• @50C8DAN it had been ill adjusted for racing at one point in I’m putting all the dots together for this car. Two reasons I didn’t keep it ,1  I wanted twin h for the ease of adjustment 2 I liked the wow factor of twin h better 

Ken , last time I messed with the linkage it threw all of the shifts out of whack , it was a very unpleasant experience. 1-2 became hard and 3-4 also became hard . 2-3 was better but still hit like a train . The way I have it now, 1-2 & 3-4 is not bad. 2-3 hits so hard I have to warn people who have never been in the car to brace themselves.
    ive found your website rather difficult to find stuff but I will give it ago again .
    when changing the fluid , do you just pull the plug and make sure the tdc mark is at the 6oclock position?
    thanks a ton!
    -Blake
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    @50C8DAN it had been ill adjusted for racing at one point in I’m putting all the dots together for this car. Two reasons I didn’t keep it ,1  I wanted twin h for the ease of adjustment 2 I liked the wow factor of twin h better 

Ken , last time I messed with the linkage it threw all of the shifts out of whack , it was a very unpleasant experience. 1-2 became hard and 3-4 also became hard . 2-3 was better but still hit like a train . The way I have it now, 1-2 & 3-4 is not bad. 2-3 hits so hard I have to warn people who have never been in the car to brace themselves.
    ive found your website rather difficult to find stuff but I will give it ago again .
    when changing the fluid , do you just pull the plug and make sure the tdc mark is at the 6oclock position?
    thanks a ton!
    -Blake
    The top of front page has Google search box that is set to search the site.,, insert key word initiate and while site matches are returned...
  • Oh good to know , thanks!
  • I have done the transmission adjustments that have been stated . 
    My fuel economy is still garbage ,haven’t officially calculated the number yet but I think I’m still at 11 mixed high/city.
    Could this be a slipping band in the trans? (I’m new to automatics so I’m not all that sure how these things work)
    What am I missing ? 308 ,flat top cam(I think) ,.30 overbore(I think) , enlarged valves (I think) ,headers and twin H ( all of the “I thinks” are due to lack of knowledge of what has been done previous to my ownership)
  • Is it shifting better, though?
  • @superwasp yes but it still needs adjustment but it will go through all gears by ~30
  • I'm wondering if the previous owner changed your axle ratio. You should have gained something from those adjustments based on how you described the previous shifts. 
  • I don’t know , I hope not . It should have the 3.07 rear axle under it. She’ll flat get after it still so if they did go up they didn’t go far. Like maybe a 3.50 Dana 🤷🏼‍♂️