Looking for ideas

I just purchased a 51 hudson pacemaker 2 door sedan. Just starting to dig into it. For the most part its all original except for the motor and transmission and I do not know if I want to keep that either. It currently has a 292 inline 6 chevy motor and a 3 speed automatic transmission. Please send me pictures and ideas you might have done or have. Much appreciated.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Returning back to Hudson power would be something I would think would be a good idea.  Plenty of options there, 262, 308, or even a nice 232.  Automatic would be an easy one as well.
  • Val
    Val Member
    I agree with Dan on this, there are good options in original Hudson engines.  And as your car has automatic already, I would think it could be an easy fit. 
  • 50C8DAN
    my other favorite I6.   Just drove our 2006 Buick Rainier with the 4.2L I6 with 220K miles out to Havre MT from Newark DE and trailered a 1966 Jeep J3000 pickup back.  The I6 never let us down even in -30F and up and down mountains.  

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/367011/if-you-must-go-with-other-than-hudson-power#latest
  • I'm in the same camp with Dan. If you aren't going with a Hudson engine, look into that vortec 4200 and sell the 292 boat anchor. The 4200s are cheap, ubiquitous, and easy to build respectable power. I really would love to see one in a Hudson. From what I can tell, they're roughly 1/2 the weight of the 308 and can easily put out power comparable to a SBC. AND, you'll get constant, "wow, what's that" when the hood is open at the show. Food for thought.
  • 50C8DAN
    Using the formula GM used for the 4.2, which also produced an I5 and I4, it is too bad that they did not produce an I8 at 5.6L now that would have been cool!
  • I’m going to sounds repetitive but there’s nothing like Hudson power . For economy and wow factor, I would go with the 262. Flat heads sound really good with headers . I’m a factory purist so I like anything hudson to stay on a Hudson .

What transmission is in that car? 

If you wanted to go non factory I know a guy that put a UPS truck straight 6 in a 50 commodore . 

@50C8DAN said to use the Chevy i5 but in my experience that’s a bad idea , a 5cyl motor is naturally unbalanced and will eat its self up within 100,000 miles or so . Just a warning
    hope this helps with a decision
    -Blake 
  • 50C8DAN
    NO!, my comment was a GM I6 4.2L OHC engine.  The Atlas 6 they were called.  There was an I5 and I4 in that family but I am not recommending either of these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ekE1ibCFvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDbJG8SRqM&t=312s

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Since you posted this under “Street Rods”, I’m going to answer in that theme.   

There are a lot of purest on the forum who really don’t want to venture into non Hudson.  IMO, it depends on what you get your kicks from?  Do you enjoy puttering around in an original car, a 50’s style street rod or one with a more modern engine that’s reliable, has parts readily available & can actually do a burn-out?   

-50’s style street rod; lots of options with old Oldsmobile 324, old Hemi’s are always killer in anything.  Why not put the Packard V8 that came in 56 or 57 Hudson’s after the merger. 

-60’s style; an old Jag 6 cylinder, 409’s are to drool over or other big blocks.

-More Modern; you can’t go wrong with a V8.  Old Corvette engines & suspensions of the C4 variety are beautiful looking & make good low end grunt to get that porker going.  IMHO there is NOTHING wrong with the tried & true SBC.  Don’t forget because parts are available everywhere for a SBC you can get it fixed anytime anywhere, you can’t do this with an original engine.  Besides cam bearings aren’t going to cost you $1000 unlike a Hudson straight 8!

Your the only one who needs to like it, to heck with the rest, do what fires you up!

Maybe this will be inspiring:
    https://youtu.be/9MSXSKR2N9U
  • IMHO the 292 is an excellent 7 main bearing engine. Strong bottom end, huge torque @1500 rpm, very reliable, and easy to maintain. Call Mike Kirby of Sissell Automotive and have him build you double lumped and fully ported 194 head. Have him spec you a street cam, install a HEI distributor, then buy and install a Clifford aluminum 4 bbl intake + 500CFM Edelbrock carb, Clifford headers, and run dual 2" exhausts out the back. Get  ready to rumble! Trust me you'll be very happy.

BTW, I absolutely dig the Atlas engine but be forewarned installing it in a Stepdown takes firewall massaging, a custom oil pan and oil pump pickup, transmission mounting gymnastics, and requires sophisticated electronics and sensors to run. Been there done that ---installed one in a '52 Hornet back in 2008. That project took a ton more time and money than I had imagined. Granted, back in those days there wasn't anyone around who had tackled this transplant...I think things are easier now in that you can buy modified pans, wiring harnesses, and such. The worse part of my sad Atlas story is that the car was totaled only three weeks after I finally got it running ---by a city garbage truck while it was parked in front of a friend's house! I laugh now but when it happened I almost went postal! lol 
  • Chevy305 using a front clip from a early Nova.