ernie28 Expert Adviser
    essex said:
    diff ratio
    What are you asking?
  • the ratio 5.1 to 1 i would like to change it to 3.5 to 1 if poss
  • Why would you want a 3.5 ?
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I wonder if the 3.5 :: 1 Gear sets being offered could be made to fit?

It  would be intersting to open up a '27 to '29 Essex center section to examine the possibilties for installing those gears.

• the pin has 10 teeth and the wheel has 51 makes it a 5.1 ratio so to get a 3.5 ratio pin has 10 teeth and the wheel has35
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The standard ratio for 11928 was 5.6 (56/10).   In  1929 there was a higher gear of 5.1  for the roadsters and coupes, but that was it.   It is possible to adapt an earlier 4 cyl  unit into the housing, which has a 4.6 (56/12).   It may be possible to get new gears machined with other ratios, but this would be very expensive.   If you had a  3.5 ratio you would have to live in a very flat part of the country!
  • I believe the car has a Toyota engine and transmission and probably has plenty of power but no speed 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
     1927 and 28  as well as 29 there were two ratios used.  5 1/10   and  5  6/10.

They will interchange.

All you gotta do is find the one you want.

• 25truck said:
    I believe the car has a Toyota engine and transmission and probably has plenty of power but no speed 
    not a jap motor
     im putting a 327 rambler v8 in my coupe

• essex said:
    25truck said:
    I believe the car has a Toyota engine and transmission and probably has plenty of power but no speed 
    not a jap motor
     im putting a 327 rambler v8 in my coupe

Sorry 
    I was thinking of a different car

are you trying to use the original wheels and brakes?
  • no mit l300 front brakes
    dont know back brakes yet