Essex 4 roadster

Hello I was looking for information on a vehicle that from memory was a 1919 Essex roadster 4cyl and thought this might be a good place to start. Is there anyone with any knowledge of Essex this early?

Comments

• 1919 was first year for Essex, Model A,  Used to be one here in Washington, Iowa.If you looking for an Essex , there is a touring in Beloit, Wisc.
  • Thanks. Ah the first year and I guess there would not have been many made are there any photos available for the model A I have looked on line but have not found any that look the same. Was there only one assembly plant/body builder at that time
  • There is an E4 group on Facebook. Google is full of images of E4’s. What is it your looking for? 
  • If you you find one and drive it, you will love it, really great performing cars.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I went to Google and found several 1919 Essex roadsters.  Because I don't know my early Hudsons, someone ('in the know') should verify the year of this car.  I found this photo on "WheelsAge.com"

As far as I know, Essexes were built at the main Hudson plant in Detroit, Michigan.  I had heard that -- during the early days -- the Hudson company had a separate factory For Essexes, but I don't know anything more about that.
  • That looks like the one! the car that I’m inquiring about was in Australia I have found one other post about a 1919 sedan it says the body was made in Australia but I have no contact details of the owner So I will keep looking to varify If Chassis were ship out and bodies were built in Australia 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2021
    See the Wikipedia writeup on Hudson manufacturing in Australia, for more information.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Motor_Car_Company

Here is a link to the homepage of the Hudson-AMC Car Club of Australia, where you might possibly find more information, if you're interested in Australian <br><a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.hudson-amc.org.au/index.htm" title="Link: https://www.hudson-amc.org.au/index.htm">https://www.hudson-amc.org.au/index.htm</a> <br><br>
  • chammond
    chammond Member
    edited December 2021
    Thanks I found that Holden's Motor Body Builders Ltd. responsible for building Essex bodies was registered on 25 February 1919 The first year of the Essex. Bodies built by Holden had a plate fixed to them stating such
  • Hello i know of a essex 4 roadster 1919 blue in colour located in Queensland
  • Spencer Yarrow
    Spencer Yarrow Expert Adviser
    that roadster looks familar
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    edited January 2022
    Here is a New Zealand one
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Thats an old Essex. It could be the first or second Essex car in Queensland, and even Australia. I saw a similar one in North Brisbane.
  • Spencer Yarrow

The blue one with black guards the number confirms it was built in 1918.

the same bloke now has another with an earlier number.

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Spencer, same would be for the black one. Had many a debate with the authorities when Bruce owned it! 
  • The blue essex lives in mackay has been here for a couple of years now  , we are looking for a delco distributor for it , the photo is from when it was purchased 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Do the Hudson and Essex use the same Delco distrib? I have a collection of them, and their parts. Man in Adelaide sells the caps, points etc.  ozhudsonatgmail.com
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Hudson is 6 cyl, and Essex is 4 cyl.   Early Essex 6's used Bosch, and then Auto-Lite
  • Spencer Yarrow

mick27 said:
    The blue essex lives in mackay has been here for a couple of years now  , we are looking for a delco distributor for it , the photo is from when it was purchased 

Did it come from near Ipswich ?
  • Spencer Yarrow
    ernie28 said:
    Spencer, same would be for the black one. Had many a debate with the authorities when Bruce owned it! 

There was another in Brisbane that the Veteran Car Club recognised as being built in 1918

mick27 said:
    The blue essex lives in mackay has been here for a couple of years now  , we are looking for a delco distributor for it , the photo is from when it was purchased 

Did it come from near Ipswich ?

Yes I am fairly certain  it was bought from a bloke with  surname Smith
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It would be interesting to know what data the Veteran Car Club used to ascertain that it was a 1918 model. 
  • Spencer Yarrow
    Geoff said:
    It would be interesting to know what data the Veteran Car Club used to ascertain that it was a 1918 model. 

I haven't seen the documentation I do know it dragged on for a long time my understanding was they researched the serial number and concluded it was built before the 31st December 1918.

Maybe the Veteran Car Club Aust. might be worth contacting. 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Not really that interested or concerned, but there has been  much controversy, and little proof over the years, and  has generated a lot of unnecessary ill will.   All the data I have indicates that there were  only 92 cars shipped in December 1918.   How four of them came to be export models is interesting!