Floor Shift in a 53-54 Hudson 3-Speed Transmission?

46HudsonPU
46HudsonPU Administrator
edited December 2021 in HUDSON
Has anyone modified a 53-54 Hudson 3-speed transmission for 'floor shift'?

If you have - any help, guidance, etc., would be appreciated - am considering this, as part of a 'winter project'..

Am actively doing some research, will try to post updates, as it progresses..

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited December 2021
    I'm pretty sure an early Jeep shifter works. Remove the shift yolks and plug the holes and it drops in. Joe Gleydura did one in his pick up in the 80's
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited December 2021
    lostmind said:
    I'm pretty sure an early Jeep shifter works. Remove the shift yolks and plug the holes and it drops in. Joe Gleydura did one in his pick up in the 80's
    Thanks for the info - I probably read about that somewhere, which initially spurred some interest. 
    I did some research (quite a while ago), in anticipation of this.  I have a rebuilt transmission (by Dr. Doug - also some time ago), bell housing, clutch & clutch plate, etc., along with some other 'parts-n-pieces', to include an 'early Jeep shifter' that you mention.
    Some other things to get out of the way, to 'make room' for this project, however nothing that I consider significant.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2022
    I've always understood that the two-lever transmission (Borg Warner T-86?) that Hudson introduced in mid-1952, could accommodate a Jeep or Studebaker truck floor shift lever.  I don't think any modifications are necessary.  (But, I own a "pre-historic" Hudson, so what do I know?  Someone acquainted with StepDowns needs to verify this.)

Incidentally, someone has a "Studebaker truck" NOS floor shift lever for sale on ebay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/313639474890?hash=item49065e96ca:g:aeEAAOSwKfBhD-7l  but they are not 100% sure of what it is.  Still, for $14. how can you go wrong?

I should have mentioned that I know someone who has a 1935 Hudson, into which a 1952 Borg-Warner (Hudson) transmission was dropped, and a floor shift lever added.  So, he has a nice, modern synchro floor shifter in that car.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I have one that I bought at a Hudson national years ago. It was made for a Hudson. It still had the window decal in the box! 
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    I have one that I bought at a Hudson national years ago. It was made for a Hudson. It still had the window decal in the box! 
    Whole trans, shifter, etc.?

Were there instructions included?
    If so, do you still have the item/instructions?

Any pictures?

Additional Info?
  • 7XPacemaker
    Shifter and linkages. It does have the instructions. If you want, I can dig it out and get you some pictures.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited December 2021
    Shifter and linkages. It does have the instructions. If you want, I can dig it out and get you some pictures.
    If you would, it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Contact Kevin at xxxcrazyuncleharry@gmail.com without the xxx.  I think he put one on his Hudson powered sand rail.
  • 7XPacemaker
    I have a site that I go to in Columbia, MD every month. Give me your contact info and we can meet up and you can get a first hand look at everything..

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    I have a site that I go to in Columbia, MD every month. Give me your contact info and we can meet up and you can get a first hand look at everything..

Sent you a message via this forum - 
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited December 2021
    An update:  Some links I have found on the subject - 

This one is for an T86 overdrive, however a lot of it applies to a 'top shifter' install -
    http://www.studegarage.com/overdrive.htm

Here is a link on the Studebaker Forum (I had forgotten about) which has some discussion, and information:
    https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/71217-t86-transmission-floor-shift-conversion?69506-T86-Transmission-Floor-Shift-Conversion=

In general, it appears that installation of a 'top shift' (T90) onto a T86 transmission (overdrive or not) is possible, functional & from the discussion - reliable.  From what I've read, modification of the non-OD transmission is more simple, while the O/D transmission is more complicated/difficult. 
    A couple of the more 'basic' issues is that the bolt pattern on the 'T90' top-shift plate does not exactly line-up with a couple of the holes for mounting (minor modifications); and the 'plate' doesn't fully seal, due to width - also easily overcome with a bit of improvisation and patience..
    I will try to let you know how it goes, with pictures (as it progresses - still getting my workshop into 'shape' for winter work).                                   
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    To those that may be watching this thread, my apologies.  I got 'side tracked' with other projects that took priority away from this.
    I still plan to do this soon, and eventually this transmission will be part of a a larger project with one of my Hudson pickups..