Clutch adjustment 1923 Super Six

I was having trouble engaging my clutch.  The pedal had to be pressed hard against the floor.  I was able to adjust the linkage under the car to move the clutch pedal much higher but now the clutch does not engage.  Fluid level was checked and is ok. What do you suggest I do next? Is there another adjustment that I can make in addition to the pedal adjustment?
Help.  Running in the garage is not much fun.
Robert

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Have you ensured that there is 1" free movement of the pedal  before the clutch throwout engages with the fork?   If the pedal is limiting on the floorboard this will prevent the clutch engaging.
  • The clutch pedal is quite high now not on the floor. Not sure how to tell if there is 1" free movement before the clutch throwout bearing engages with the fork? I have several repair manuals but the diagrams don't show the info or I just don't know what I'm looking at. Can you direct me to the "fork" in relation to where I adjusted the nut to raise the foot pedal? Maybe I should move the nut and adjustment back where is was originally.
    Robert
  • Maybe this picture will help you direct me to the problem.  This is the nut I adjusted to raise the pedal.  Where should I look for the fork and throwout bearing?
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The fork is on the inner end of the  lever disappearing into the centre.  You should be able to move the clutch pedal an inch before you feel any resistance.  In other words the pedal should  "float", and then be firm, and then disengage the clutch.  if you have adjusted the pedal so it hits the floor, then it may be holding the clutch disengaged.   
  • I have my pedal adjusted very high thought that was the problem.  Before I had to press really hard to get the clutch to work. I now know the pedal adjustment was not the problem.  Is there another place to adjust the clutch at the yoke? Do I need to take something else apart so I can see the yoke and do the adjustment?
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No, there is only one adjustment. If the clutch slips, and you have free play at the floor, the clutch is worn out. 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    If clutch plates are worn out I have a set of bonded clutch plates for sale. I reply to ozhudsonatgmail.com
  • if if it’s an engagement issue your having you can check for excessive play in your fork/ yoke. It’s held on by one bolt and a lot of motion can be lost. A little slop is fine. 
  • Are you talking about the yoke and fork at the throwout bearing? I guess if I disconnect the adjustment to the clutch I will be able to feel if the bar that connects to the yoke is loose.  The question is how do I tighten it?
  • Took off the shield so I could see the yoke.  This is the photo of what I saw.  There is a little play in the yoke.  My guess is the nut you see to the left is what I need to tighten. Is there anything else you see in the photo that would help me with the problem. A little fluid is leaking around the yoke but not enough to drip on the floor.
    Robert
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    There is probably a worn bronze bush in the yoke. I hope you are lucky and the wear is only a little.
  • A little movement is OK. I’m not saying this is your problem but lost motion can add up. 
  • Where do I go from here? Should I take something apart and look for the worn bronze bush that Barry mentioned or try to tighten the nut?
    Robert
  • Not sure if you have the manual or not 

but maybe this will help 
  • Thank you so much.  I have a number of manuals but I have not seen the steps to take it apart.  Maybe I missed them.
    Robert
  • Great 

I think I got this book off eBay our  Amazon 

and some of the ether good books I have are old Dykes Motors manuals 
    lots of good Hudson stuff in them 
  • And this is what is in my 1926 Dyke’s automotive Encyclopedia  

• Thanks a lot of good information.
    Robert
  • Problem solved!  I noticed the nut on the clutch pedal was getting stuck in the floorboard.  I widened the hole for the nut to go through and the clutch pedal to hit the floor.  The car shifted perfectly.  Now something else may be wrong but for the moment I can shift into gear!
    Robert
  • That’s great 

keep at it and you’ll be on the road before long 

John 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It's a change from the nut behind the wheel!