Essex 4differential wanted

I hope to upgear my 1929 coupe so I am looking for the Essex 4 differential to facilitate the conversion. I am willing to buy the entire axle assembly to get the differential if necessary.   

Comments

• good luck, they are very very rare. You should find an overdrive instead. 
  • As I remember the same rear was used in lots of other makes and Essex used the same rear all during the 20,s. Geoff Clark should be able to give you the whole story.

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    What ratio do you currently have? 5.6 or 5.1?
  • thanks for the advice and information guys!
    I appreciate being straightened out on this!

Han Jacobsson telephoned me the other evening and spent a great deal of his time spoon feeding me on this topic.  I came away with the same conclusion you have. 

The correct pieces are like hens teeth! Even if I look for a set from another marque it would be a rare find. 

Adding an overdrive is a possibility but my goal is to keep it fairly original in appearance and that would be a noticeable change compared to simply changing the differential gears. 

I just climbed out from underneath my Coupe and it is stamped 5-1/11. So I have decided that I should not tamper with an automobile with less than 16,000 original miles and simply enjoy it with the ratio as built by Hudson!

Many of the roads in my area are 35-45 mph anyway. 

I can at least be satisfied in the knowledge that I can still theoretically outrun a stock Model A!

• ernie28 said:
    What ratio do you currently have? 5.6 or 5.1?
    My differential is stamped 5-1/11 I believe that translates to 5.1 
    Assuming that I haven’t confused myself again!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That is a good ratio, and gives good hill climbing ability, and not too high revving on the open road at 45 m.p.h.   The Essex 4 is not  a straight bolt-in.  You have to  cut a groove in the housing to accommodate the larger ring gear, completely  dismantle both  differential units and transplant the  spider gears,  re-drill the pinion flange.   You have to use the  six cylinder housing, as the brakes and wheels are completely different.  
  • Thanks Geoff!

That is definitely more modification than I want to tackle, ESPECIALLY since you guys motivated me to find the ratio stamp on the differential, establishing that my coupe has the optional taller gears already. This further confirms my decision to not fix it because it “aint broke”! There’s plenty of work yet to do on it so it’s best not invite unnecessary trouble!

I found an article that claims that even the overdrive equipped roadster could reach it, but it had difficulty maintaining 70mph because the gearing was actually too tall for the engine. I think it’s currently set up in the Goldilocks ratio from the factory and I appreciate all of the sage advice from you guys!

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    A have a 5.1 in my 28 and 29. As Geoff says, it is a good ratio. Enjoy! 
  • ernie28 said:
    A have a 5.1 in my 28 and 29. As Geoff says, it is a good ratio. Enjoy! 
    Good to hear! I think so too. 
    I’ve still got lots of other work to do for it before recommissioning it. So less is more!