Fish carburetors on a Hudson?

Happy Thanksgiving all!
I have always been interested in the fish self adjusting carburetor has anyone ever put one (or2) on a Hudson ?

I hear they are great for straight engines

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Sloan McCaully, now deceased; held AHRA and other drag racing titles running FISH carbs on a stroked 308 engine installed in a Hudson Jet 2dr.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    What is a Fish carburettor ?
  • My grandfather was a west coast dealer and always had a Hudson with one or two on it.   They are about the simplest carbs with only 3 moving parts.   They came in different CFM sizes and adapters were available for just about any engine/manifold manufacturer.   My dad ran one on his 72 F100 with a 302 in it from the day he bought new until he sold it, less carb of course.  They get a negative rep as far as a performance carb goes because their slogan was “Zip plus Mileage” but years ago at the local race track you could only run 3 vs 6 Stromberg 97’s.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Thanks Andrew.
     I'd never heard of them before.
    If they're very versatile and only have 3 moving parts, I wonder why no-one has made repro
    ones ?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    https://mikebrownsolutions.com/fish-carburetor/

http://rosscarb.com/fish-carburetors/

Lot of crazy claims on the Fish - HP, mileage, etc., there may have been some advantages but whatever they were are just talk today.  There were rumors that Smokey Yunich ran the on some NASCAR Hudsons, who knows.  When Smokey was still around and talked at some Hudson National meets did anyone ask him?
  • In Smokey’s autobiography there is this image of two on a 308 bolted to his dyno.  There are way better options for carbs, I just have an emotional attachment to them as they were a big part of my grandfather’s life at Les Carb Co.  I still have his carburetor tools that have Fish Carb on the handles.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Very interesting intake manifold.  Looks like it might be a pieced together aluminum made from early Hudson aluminum manifolds? 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Cool photo, I wonder what Smokey found out?
  • Would a set of these help with fuel economy on a 308? Twin H
    I get 11-12(town and 15 highway) 
    its is built (previous owner) to somewhat 7X specs with hydramatic drive. 
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    edited December 2021
    fuel economy with twin carbs?  :D  I think that it was "Speed, Power and Endurance"!
  • 50SuperFalcon
    50SuperFalcon Member
    edited December 2021
    @7XPacemaker
    As fish carbs go ,they give power and economy from what I’ve heard on a straight 6.
    the question is ,is there anyone around that has done this and gotten results ?
  • With today’s fuel, my Commodore 262 and overdrive gets that same mileage. Better than driving any modern look a like soulless road appliance lol