Isuzu Steering Box on Stepdown

hudshornet
hudshornet Expert Adviser
So my 48 stepdown has an odd steering box conversion that was partially completed by a shop before I got the car.  The previous owner told me that it was an Isuzu trooper box.  Has anyone heard of this setup?  I’m a little concerned as to how it is going to work when I get it on the road.   I don’t have any pictures yet but I’ll get some this weekend.  

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited October 2021
    I personally havent heard of this but interested. Apprentely its installed on your car in the origijal bolt holes and curious if its a power steering Box? Regardless, look forward to picture
  • hudshornet
    It is a power steering box, the shaft was cut and a universal joint was welded on to connect to the steering column.  I hadn’t seen one like it before.
  • Ol racer
    edited October 2021
    Apparently someone gave it a lot of thought and may work out well as long as fastened tightly.. You mention partially completed. Can you tell if bolts in original mounting holes or are brackets fabricated?  Probably has or need the Isuzu Pump & hoses. Ive adapted P/Steering to most of my older Hudson's and would'nt change back.
  • hudshornet
    edited October 2021
    Well I didn’t have much time to look at it today but here are a couple of pictures.  I should have some better ones soon as I’m pulling the engine out to fix a couple of things.  It looks like they welded some tabs onto the frame to mount the box.  Any thoughts?
  • hudshornet

• hudshornet

• hudshornet
    My biggest concern is whether I should try and get this on road as is and run the risk of the steering not working correctly and having to pull the car completely back apart.  Or should I go with something like the rack and pinion conversion using the gm rack that I know will work. 
  • Ol racer
    Thanks for the pictures. However, I cant tell how connects to the draglink to move it forward & rearward or how the Bracket (tabs) are welded. Perhaps when the motor is out will reveal that better. If everything is welded good and the pitman arm swivels correctly It may be a good conversion idea and less work then a rack. (Ive mounted Power R & Pin on my '37 straight axle and Electric Power on my stepdown).
  • hudshornet
    Well it will be a couple more days until I get the pictures without the engine in the car.  I was all ready to pull it and found out that the hoist cylinder gave up the ghost since the last time I used it.  Luckily Amazon had one and it will be here in a couple of days.
  • Ol racer
    Take your time. Actually earlier this month I uncovered details how to install Power R & Pin on a Stepdown in case this Unit isnt what you really want.. If you PM your address I will copy and send Instr to you since its too small of print to Post
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    This was a common conversion in the 80's to add power sterring to early mustangs.
  • hudshornet
    Well I got the engine out.  The motor mounts are an absolute nightmare and will have to be redone.  They really make me question the fab work on the steering.  Here are some better pictures from last night.
  • Ol racer
    Looks like the Golumn & Box is bolted to the frame and brackets well, but the motor mount bracket looks cobby. What motor was in there with mount so far back?

• hudshornet
    It had a 4.3L V6 and it was very far back.  Does anyone have any pictures of properly fabricated motor mounts?  
  • Ol racer
    Is the front frame rail where you think original mount sat removed? I can take a picture over wknd if nobody posts one. \\ AMC#602 1161 rubber mount will work as replacement
  • hudshornet
    Yes the original frame mounts in the front are still present.  The rear crossmember is long gone though.
  • Ol racer
     How bad did they cut it out? Are the L & R side 'Ends' still protruding so can bolt on a replacement? If not can fabricate then bolt on a replacement. Are you planning on Std or Auto Trans bcause their different.??