disc brake convertion

what hubs are to be used on a change over the reason I ask this is because I have kelsey hays spokes on my 49 and the mounting holes are enlarged but the pin keeps them form moving so do you use the hudson hub with the pin or does one need to change wheels.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I have KH wires on my '54 and used the ABS conversion kit.  It has studs on the rotor/hubs and I have had no issues.
  • I’m curious why one might be converting to disks? When drums are adjusted just right they work like a dream . Unless you’ve got a modern (viper or LS) or very hopped up 308 
    just a though 
    -B
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited October 2021
    The comments about proper adjustment are correct but; use those brakes several times and they no longer have the braking effectiveness.  So, changing to disc brakes overcomes the fades that occur with the best of Hudson front brakes.  Not hammering the brake pedal trying to control the car allows you to maintain some of the standard Hudson’s brake effectiveness.   
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I’m curious why one might be converting to disks? When drums are adjusted just right they work like a dream . Unless you’ve got a modern (viper or LS) or very hopped up 308 

You've obviously not had the pleasure of drum brakes overheating while coming down a mountainous road in North Carolina.  I have disc brakes on both my Hudsons now....
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    I used Hudson spoke wheels and American Racing Spoke wheels on my Disc brakes with Chrysler Sebring rotors on my Hudson Hubs with no problem. I just eliminated the alignment Pin..
  • For future reference, what year Chrysler Sebring rotors
    ?
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
    I like things original, but I have to agree about brake fade. It can be scary.
  • As most CDL people know, there are simple techniques to reduce brake fade. In my mind it comes down to who's operating the vehicle. I'm fine with manual drums, but as my oldest gets closer to driving, it may make more sense to throw discs on. We all have our own unique circumstances.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    WAROOM  2003 Chry Sebring Rotors... Only need machine Rotor (Not Hub) slightly to fit snug