Repair or replacement water jacket cover needed

So I am rebuilding the engine on my 1935 Terraplane. Anyone have leads on a good condition water jacket cover? I also need a few other parts for the engine such as the intake manifold so any help would be much appreciated. Pics of what I am working with are below. 

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    tape and seal the oil inlet hole, to avoid contamination in oil resevoir.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The inner baffle is missing.   this has large holes at each end "1", and two small holes " "3/8"   in between, to stop the bulk of the water going through the centre cylinders.   
  • The 34/35 water jacket inlet pipe is configured different than later versions but I believe the inner baffle plate is the same for all.  Wildrick Rubber Parts has new inner baffle plates that you can insert.  Do your best to save that original outer jacket as these quite rare to find in decent shape.  Dorman made after-market replacements jackets and they show up from time to time on eBay 
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Did you check with Sam at 

Northwestern Auto Supply

grand rapids, MI

616-241-5611

regards, Tom Peterson 

inner baffle plate is the same in ‘36 as ‘35, but the pipe exits out the top for the ‘36
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Here is an NOS one I have on the shelf.

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I think you can still get complete newly made stainless covers from  the ROC.
  • I think you can still get complete newly made stainless covers from  the ROC.
    If available, wouldn’t those be for an 8-cylinder?  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Sixes are listed as well.
  • Sixes are listed as well.
    Nice!  Can you please post a link?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Toddh said:
    Sixes are listed as well.
    Nice!  Can you please post a link?
    www.railton.org

- but you have to join the Club to buy parts from them, which is fair enough !
  • KDancy above says he has a new one on the shelf….
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    I have had success in bringing water jackets back to life by doing the following-
    Clean all the gunk from the jacket and then perhaps a light sand blast.
    Take to a chrome plater and ask him to strip and apply several coats of copper.
    Solder repair pin holes.  If bigger holes are involved, apply a copper patch and solder into place.
    Take back to chrome plater for another couple of coats of copper.  Then paint the outside and your done!  For the inner plate - make one from some stainless or panel steel and copper coat this as well!

If you have metal fabrication skills, why not make your own replacement which I have also done using 1mm panel steel and curved pipe welded into place - one I made has been on my Terraplane engine for 20+ years.  I might also add, since the late 1970's, I have always run soluble oil in my radiators (Hudson & Terraplane vehicles) so nothing rusts.  You just need to make sure the milky colour of the water is low fat milk colour - pale white.