Electrolock Lock

My 1928 originally had an Electrolock cable that ran from the distributor to the dashboard. Someone cut it off at the distributor, and the distributor was hacked wired up. A few years ago I found an unwanted, unmolested distributor. Now, this year at Hershey, I found a NOS cable cheap, but without cylinder. Q1). Does anyone know of a source so I can complete the parts?

The cable, BTY, appears to have only one wire inside the cable. There are four contacts in the bottom of the cylinder end. Three connect only to external screw terminals, and the other connects to the snap-on end. And, it seems to have a low resistance connection to the overall metal sheath that would short things out. I assume that this is due to the spring loaded connector, but would be eliminated when snapped-on.

Which brings me to the second question. Q2). Does anyone know of a way to use this cable, and make the connection un-doable when needed in the future. I want it for engine esthetics and ignition function, but not as an anti-theft system.

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    The cable in picture seems to be a 1929 and later cable.
    /////////////////

1928 cable that I am framiliar with has a rather large right angle housing that has the connection to distributer.

/////////////////////

In addition the snap jaws inside the connector appears to have only one jaw to close
     over the pintle on distributer.  Normally there are two spring loaded curved face jaws facing each other, to close over the pintle head.

You might think about rounding off the arrow head on the pintle to allow easier removal.

The Lock assy for a '29 or '30 or '31 can be interchanged.
    All are hard to find.
    ///////////
    Note, the cable grounds ignition in locked position.
    ///////////////

There is electrolock info in HET files by Alex Burr

best wishes

• This cable  (on left) does have the angle connector. The connector at right is on the 27. So Hans, you are probably correct that the left cable fits a 29. I can only guess that the 27 type might have been also used on the 28. 

There are two 'jaws' inside the snap end, and they can be pushed side to side with a screwdriver. They don't show well in the picture.

I might be able to take the assembly apart. Everything is secured by a spanner nut, but the factory added a staking punch that can be seen in picture 4, above.