Flywheel Removal

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
My engine is still in the car but I want to take the flywheel off so I can set up the new clutch fingers on the bench with the clutch housing bolted to the flywheel, rather than trying  to do it with the housing bolted on to the flywheel in the car, which will be awkward.
I have removed the 6 lock nuts and can't see anything else holding the flywheel on but it won't budge.
I've tried wiggling it and giving it a few careful taps with a wooden drift through the timing aperture but I can't move it. 
I don't want to do anything stupid trying to get it off, so I need some helpful advice please.

Comments

• It’s a tight fit but those bolts are the only thing holding it. Hopefully the previous person in that engine didn’t put gasket shellac on it 😆
  • Old Fogey UK
    Toddh said:
    It’s a tight fit but those bolts are the only thing holding it. Hopefully the previous person in that engine didn’t put gasket shellac on it 😆
    There was thread sealer on the bolts - which sounds ominous 😩😩😩
  • just start tapping it all around the perimeter of the fly wheel until it starts to move.  If someone applied sealer or similar to the mating surfaces you may need to warm it (not red hot!) with a torch a bit to get it to move. Gently does it
  • Use a leather or soft hammer too
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll be careful and use a rubber hammer - with a block of wood in places where the hammer head won't go.
  • Old Fogey UK
    The rubber hammer worked !
    As suspected, the flywheel had been heavily cemented to the flange - just to add to the list of mistakes the engine restorer made.
  • Good deal.  Check the teeth on the flywheel and make sure they’re not garfed up.  And check your pilot bearing in the center too.  They’re easily replaced (and cheap) if bad.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Toddh said:
    Good deal.  Check the teeth on the flywheel and make sure they’re not garfed up.  And check your pilot bearing in the center too.  They’re easily replaced (and cheap) if bad.  
    Both OK I'm relieved to say !