Hudson heater doesn't work

Val
Val Member
The heater in my 39 seems to have quit working. When I turn the knob it lights up but the motor doesn't turn. Not sure how to repair it. Any advice???? 

Thanks 
Vic 

Comments

• Try spinning the fan by hand. Sometimes the brushes stick from sitting. One spin and then turn it on and see if it works. Some have a fuse mounted right by the heater.
  • The nice thing about the early heaters are they come completely apart with a spanner and screwdriver. No plastic. I'd take it out and service the motor. It comes apart and is quite easy to grease. My 1936 heater was bought no working. After taking it apart and cleaning it I'd have it running fine. The motor is so simple. Products in the 1930s are so easy to work on as they pull apart and resemble as they are meant to be serviced. Give it a go or hand the motor to a auto electrician to service cheers ken 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks guys I will try that and let you know any progress made.
  • Val
    Val Member
    So I reached back and spun the fan, turned it on but no dice.  How would I get the motor out? I got the box cover off. 
  • There is a set screw on the side of the fan holding on the shaft. Loosen it and the fan slides off. Two little nuts under it hold the motor on. Take a couple of jumper wires and battery and see if it will work before you take it apart.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Ed, I will attach a photo of the back side the three legs are what I think I need to take off. first. If so how would I do that?

• I'd start from the front of the heater removing the cover then radiator getting to the motor from above. Working from behind is nearly impossible. It's usually built from the bottom upwards. 
  • That heater is different from my 46. You can see that the motor has to come out from the other side. The box must come apart and the heater core looks like it has to come out before the motor.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the information I will take the small radiator out and then remove the motor that way I'll let you know how that goes for me thanks again
  • Val
    Val Member
    So it seems that this bracket that the tube passes through is bent. as is the tube. I will cut the bracket instead of the tube. That will allow me to spread it enough to allow the tube to pass thud getting the radiator out and access to the fan motor 
  • SO I got it apart and it is indeed the motor that doest work. I'll have it rebuilt 
  • I converted my truck to 12 volts so I bought a new heater motor from O’Reillys auto parts.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Also bought motor at o’reillys about $28. These motors are common as dirt. Should be available in 6 volt also
  • I'll check that , thanks guys