Compatible Rims for 1954 Hudson Hornet

Looking to find out what rims fit on the Hornets. I can't find very much info in my search. I did run across a reference to '75 Chrysler Newport rims fitting. Can you guys tell me a common rims that works?

Comments

• I have been told that any 5 lug by 4.5 inch center of hole to center of hole will work. If you still have the guide pin on your drum's. Look for 50's and 60's era Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler rims. On my project car i have a full mismatch set of Ford rims
  • I have a set of 70s Mopar black steels on a Hudson with no issues, i drilled a hole in the rim for the guide pin to fit. 
  • Thank you

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    You can also run wheels with the dual bolt pattern.  If they have the 4 1/2" and 4 3/4" the locating pin will fit into the outer lug pattern.
  • Hello All!
    Running 1950 Pacemaker, original rims. Still wondering...is it so that "off-set" very important??...not so much room..rear..if the off-set is wrong. Of course it is possible that I am wrong and thinking too much:) Have a nice evening everybody.
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
    I have a pair of '50 Hudson red rims you can have for $50, but cost of shipping from MN may make that costly for you.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Wheel Smith has new classic Mopar wheels.
    http://thewheelsmith.net/wheel-catalog/mopar-wheels
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    ElReino said:
    Hello All!
    Running 1950 Pacemaker, original rims. Still wondering...is it so that "off-set" very important??...not so much room..rear..if the off-set is wrong. Of course it is possible that I am wrong and thinking too much:) Have a nice evening everybody.
    Offset is important as regards ease of steering and tyre wear.  King pin inclination is built in so that the centre of the  tread is on the pivotal axis of the king pin.  if you change the offset of the rim then  this places the  axis outside or inside the centre point, depending on which way the offset is.  
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Offset and wheel geometry explained.

Wheel-Fitment-Article.pdf (thewheelsmith.net)
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    My 54 has 5” or 5.5” wide rims with 235 wide tires.  It’s a close fit to get the tires on passenger side with it all jacked up & rear hanging.  Haven’t had any issues with rubbing but would like a wider rim.  How wide have others used front & rear?
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    I run 15x6 american racing smoothies with 235/75r15 tires on my Super Wasp.  No rubbing and fitment is good.  To change the rear tire though, you need to jack the whole rear up and allow rear end to droop to allow tire to come out of the wheel well.
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited October 2021
    I'm running a 15x8 on the rear of my 54. The tire is a 28x11.5 Mickey Thompson ET Street. I have to raise the car so that the suspension is fully extended, and let all the air out of the tire, to get it stuffed in there and inflate it after it is bolted on. I will never have to do this on the side of the road, because I have a smaller wheel and tire for a spare, so I can use it for front or rear. I've used the same wheel and tire on a 52 Wasp. with a tire this big, the fender skirts won't fit. No body or frame mods to either car to fit this wheel and tire. I'm sure this is too much work for most Hudson owners.
  • Sirs!
    Nice comments,me get wiser:) So Hudson in Finland..not so much to "pick-up" Mopar wheels to find out not good. Backspace and off-set clear. Pacemaker original 15x5..Hornet 15x5,5..correct if I am wrong. But anyway..off course bolt pattern&center hole first..after that..not so simple..only my opinion:)..before you push"send me,I will pay someday" Summit etc.. have a good time!