Electronic ignition

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
http://www.magnetpowernz.co.nz/

This unit is simple to install, uses the original points, and if it ever fails it is only a two minute job to revert to the original system.  Involves disconnecting the condenser, wiring the coil to the new unit, and the new unit to the distributor and ground.  I have one on my '28 Essex.  Gives hotter spark, and point last forever.   
"Disclaimer": I have no  financial interest in this at all, just passing the information on.
Geoff 

Comments

• Huh. That's really interesting. It's basically just using the points as a signal circuit. I bet it's more reliable than the Pertronix Hall sensor. Cheaper too. Thanks for sharing!
  • Geoff, did you install a higher voltage coil or keep the stock coil? 
  • Thanks for the info and link... that definitely looks like the way to go for me.
  • stev1955
    stev1955 Expert Adviser
    Thanks Geoff
  • I just wrote to inquire about ordering. We'll see how it goes, I always worry about ordering from overseas.
  • Eric, I was never able to get info on coil types on the NZ vendor, but there's a UK vendor selling a similar unit. That vendor responded indicating theirs work with coils of 2-5 ohms. That's the range for our stock coils. I suspect the NZ unit is very similar. From what I can piece together online, they're using very similar designs.
    That being said, you probably won't find a 'performance' coil in 6v above 1.5 ohm. For most of us, the stock coils are just fine.
    The UK unit is made by Gammatronix and can be ordered on eBay or their web store.
  • @superwasp Thanks for the info... More to think about, and I will look into the Gammatronix.