Steering

My steering has play. Where is the adjustment? on my Hudson 1950. It seems a little different than my Studebaker.

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Check the Tie Rods & Drag link for any movement. Center the steering wheel then determine if have excessive play in the Steering box by someone looking at the Pit Arm while wiggle the steer wheel. If so, Box has an adj Nut on the side, however should look at Manual first.

If all appears acceptable, look at the center Link (Where L & R Tie rods connect) for any verticle movement. The Center Link is usually the problem and there's a repair Kit available.
  • Yep the center point is the weak link. Even excessive play in the king-pins and tie-rods won’t make the car wander as much as a worn center point. Get all of that snugged up and put on a quality set of radial tires, and it’s better than a new Hudson
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Incorrect camber or caster can cause what appears to be "play".  Only way to accurately detect play in  the actual box is to disconnect the drag link and move the drop arm back and forth.  with the arm vertical there should be no play.  Adjustment is under the cover nut on the outside of the box.