Engine swap or updates

I have been told that this forum is dedicated to Hudson traditionalists. I have an odd question to everyone.
On my 48 Super Six Club Couple, it had a somewhat smaller inline 6. My car had been stripped over the years.
I debated with myself, the pro's and cons of using a different engine and transmission. I chose to use the 308 engine with a 2 lever three speed transmission with overdrive.
My only real updates will be with the distributor and generator. I have a custom gm HEI with a gm Alternator.
How many have actually changed out the flathead engine with an overhead valve engine with the matching computer control for the engine and transmission?
What makes the Hudson car traditional and not traditional in the eyes Hudson car owners? 
Thanks Wookie

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    The more a Hudson retains everything from when it came out of the factory and dealer, the more traditional it is to me.  
  • My car was all but stripped for parts when I purchased it from the salvage yard. The car had absolutely no cancer on it
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited October 2021
    I am a mostly traditional guy if possible and it is often easier but not necessarily cheaper to go that way.  If a car is missing the engine and trans, then well you put in what you can afford and want to.  I noted a few months back that if I were going to replace the Hudson engine I would do one of the GM in line ATLAS OHC engines - probably the 6, but the 5 has plenty of power.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ekE1ibCFvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDbJG8SRqM

Just another note.  I am still driving our 2006 Buick Rainier with one of these - 220K miles and still runs great!
  • Lol. Someone needs to stuff one of these in a stepdown just so we can find out how it handles and moves.
  • 50C8DAN
    This engine series came in 4, 5, and 6 cylinder versions, all using the same pistons, rods, and other components. There are groups out there that have made all sorts of aftermarket components including ECMs.  Even earlier Hudsons could use the 4 and 5 cylinder versions.   This is the type of engine I could see Hudson making if it were still around today.
  • I am mostly traditional myself. I love the sound and feel of everything Hudson as original as possible. I have a bone stock 50 Super6 262 w OD trans and 26k original miles. The car still has everything original, drives and handles amazing. I will build a 51 Hornet Twin-H hydro sedan that is matching #s and keep it stock w minor upgrades. But I have other sedans that I want to go modern 6.0L Chevy truck engine and trans with more modern interior and AC to do long trips w my new wife in. I also think the Atlas 6 would be fun in a step down  but definitely would look out of place if the 4 or 5 cylinder is used, I don’t care if the 4 cylinder has more power than most Hudson 6s, just doesn’t seem right in my eyes. 
  • Also another side note about the Atlas 6. I bought a new in 2005 Trailblazer 2WD. I loved it and also the power it made. But the fuel mileage was worse in it than the 93 Chevy extended cab 2WD truck I had with a TBI 350. Point being, might as well have a V8 for the similar amount of fuel consumption. Either engine will be better than a Hudson engine as I don’t get any better than about 15 mpg w my 262 and OD. But I don’t care about that too much. The attention and love from people when driving a Hudson more than makes up for the terrible mileage. 
  • I prefer OEM too. I'm still curious how these would balance out a step down. LS blocks are 500 to 580 lbs. Aluminum/cast iron variants. As much as I can tell, the Atlas 6 is only 400 lbs. I have no idea what our beloved 308 weighs in at. The Atlas may create a nice power to weight ratio for a cruiser. 
  • The draw back to any V8 is the transmission height under the floor board of a step down. There is a lot of modifying needed
  • 50C8DAN
    edited October 2021
    The Atlas series power to weight is pretty impressive.  The aftermarket nuts supporting this engine since its demise are impressive as well.  There are a number of videos and other information showing turbo versions with very impressive power of more than 500 hp.  In one video it was interesting that the driver could modify the ECM while sitting in the car to modify the settings for the turbo.  There are even aftermarket forged rods etc.  For those thinking outside the box they are an interesting, relatively cheap alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj_jgq5-3sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGYuPENQZHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPJ6vBhHexg

• 50C8DAN
    I was thinking what would be even cooler to do with a 4200 swap into a stepdown is use the AWD system to make an AWD Hornet - that would be pretty cool.
  • Anymore, most of the kids I talk to are astonished when something isn't AWD. 😆