Hudson eight 34 crankcase bolt

Tapez votrI recently dismantled the housing of my Hudson survivor of 34.This vehicle has never been disassembled I precise. I have removed the crankcase; cleaned and repainted. I removed the bolts which was very greasy. While cleaning; I realized that 6 of the bolts had a brass washer and the others did not. Do they have to be mounted in a well-specified place? If you could answer my question;thank youe message

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The bolts that screw into the front and rear main bearing caps, and the two longer bolts on the right hand side that hold the oil intake pipe bracket have brass washers, not spring washers. 
  • Thanks for the quick response. Top of top
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Geoff said:
    The bolts that screw into the front and rear main bearing caps, and the two longer bolts on the right hand side that hold the oil intake pipe bracket have brass washers, not spring washers. 
    I haven't used brass washers in those locations, Geoff. Is that why I'm having oil leaks ?
    By the way, have you received the hubcaps yet ?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Probably, the oil leaks down the threads.  No have not received caps.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Geoff said:
    Probably, the oil leaks down the threads.  No have not received caps.  
    Would copper washers on all the bolts stop oil leaks ?
    The UK-NZ mail must be awfully slow ! Please let me know when they arrive.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The copper washers theoretically provide a perfect seal between the head of the bolt and the oil pan, stopping any oil that leaks down the bolt threads. A spring washer can never provide a perfect seal the way a copper washer does.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks, Bob.
    This weekend, I'll go around the pan putting a copper washer on each bolt in turn and see if that stops the leaks.
  • And personally I will put net sealing loctite
  • Old Fogey UK
    JACK356 said:
    And personally I will put net sealing loctite
    A good idea !
  • JACK356 said:
    And personally I will put net sealing loctite
    A good idea !
     :smiley:  
  • I would just point out that as far as I know, none of the perimeter oil pan bolts are directly exposed to the inside of the oil pan.  If you have leaks, the pan is warped or bent, gaskets are not installed correctly, the oil drain is partially blocked by sealant or (as in my case with my 34 212), you may have a pin hole leak in the pan.  As Geoff indicated, the two areas needing extra support are either side of the oil drain at the rear main and either side of the oil pickup.  And at least on the 212, those bolts are not exposed to the oil gallery either.  Bottom line is you don’t necessarily need any washers anywhere else on the oil pan unless you have warpage issues with your oil pan in which case a standard steel washer will help. 
  • sealing threads on the bolts concerned of course ...
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Sorry to disagree, but the front bearing cap bolts are directly into the interior of the crankcase.  Try leaving one out and see how much oil pours out.  
  • Geoff said:
    Sorry to disagree, but the front bearing cap bolts are directly into the interior of the crankcase.  Try leaving one out and see how much oil pours out.  
    And for security. Loctite sealing leaks in addition :)
  • Old Fogey UK
    Having crawled under the car on Sunday but not put any fresh washers on, the main leak seems to be from the drain plug.
    So I will temporarily drain the oil and fit a copper washer and then put the oil back in (it has only done about 25 miles).
     I read that you can PTFE tape on oil pan plugs - is this correct ?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Anyone know the torque setting for oil pan bolts, please ?
  • bob ward
    15 to 20 ftlb
  • I was just inside both my ‘34 and ‘46 212’s and they are not exposed to the oil chamber, Geoff. 

Geoff said:

• bob ward said:
    15 to 20 ftlb
    What does it look like in newton metre? Thank you
  • Toddh said:
    I was just inside both my ‘34 and ‘46 212’s and they are not exposed to the oil chamber, Geoff. 

Geoff said:

I reread your post, Geoff.  You’re correct on the two bearing cap bolts.  However, they do not (at least on the 212’s) secure the oil pan to the block and I’m quite certain they do not on the 254 8-cylinder engines either. There’s a notch or cutout for each of the two front bearing cap bolts in the pan to accommodate them.  I stand by my statement that none of the oil pan bolts are exposed to the oil chamber. I hope that clears this matter up. 
  • bob ward
    1 ftlb equals 1.4Nm, so 21 to 28Nm for the oil pan bolts.
  • Old Fogey UK
    The Railton Owners Club have said in their latest magazine that they're going to make metal reinforcing strips for oil pans that will require slightly longer bolts but will flatten out warps in the pan and tray flanges caused by over-tightening the bolts and help stop oil leaks.
    I've put my name down for a set.
  • There are 4 bolts at the front and two at the rear that crosses the block and direct contact with the oil. Look in the picture; I pass a metal rod

Dale Cooper

Installation of the crankcase next week. Today it was valve adjustment

the 31 crankcase bolts. With both long for the oil sump

• Ca tourne 😊

• Avant