Terraplane tranny question

5433HET
5433HET Expert Adviser
I recently lost 2nd gear in my '32 Terraplane. Upon inspection,  we discovered it was a 
2nd and 3rd synchronizer snap ring that had broken. Is it possible to replace that snap ring without removing the tranny? Such as cutting a small piece off the snap ring so it will fit over and into the groove, without disassembly. Anyone ever do this? 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If it is the internal snap ring that holds the second gear to the  front shaft, there is no way to fix this without removing the transmission. 
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    The ‘32 had synchronizers? 

My ‘35 gearbox has no synchromesh.

Regards, Tom
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Paradoxically, the Hudson-built transmission was called "Synchro-shift" in spite of the fact that it did actually have no synchronising mechanism. It did have constant mesh gears, with a sliding sleeve with dog teeth that engaged top and second gears.  However, the 1932  Essex, and '32-33 Hudson had a one-off synchro transmission, though I have never seen none.  It looks like a standard Borg-Warner unit to me, by the parts catalog. 
  • Special as configuration. My survivor Hudson EIGHT of 34 has the non-syncro speeds.Weird to have put syncros and to have made a comeback in the back.