Hydramatic Removal

Hello all, 

So I did not see the procedure in the mechanical book but as much as I can deduce by reading lots of sources. 

This is my first automatic trans pull so bear with me. 

It is a 56 308 with a single range hydramatic from 51. 

1)  remove engine and trans. 

2) remove the many bolts holding the torus cover to the flywheel. (Seal breaks?  and dumps a bunch of fluid???)  Any hints on how to do this fast and efficiently? 

3) loosen bell housing bolts holding to block.

4) work trans far enough to support converter (torus?, are they the same sort of thing???) and wire it in place level with crank shaft. 

5) With converter wired in place and not putting undue pressure on an oil seal in there somewhere.  Remove trans with bellhousing from block.  

6)  Cover and mate back with block ASAP.  

Is there a better guide out there?  

Thanks all!

Ray

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I don't know your year or model , but I never removed the engine. The floor cover comes out , plenty of room to access every thing.
    Lots of bolts on the flywheel.
    I usually use a floor jack.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Do you have a Hudson Hydra-Matic manual?  If not, you should be able to get a reproduction through the club store or an original one via an on-line auction.
  • Found it under 11-50 in the mechanical regular manual.  Thanks!
  • On that car, yiu don’t have to pull the floor, there are access holes on the floor up towards the firewall under the heater box to access the bell housing bolts. The crossmember in hydro cars un-bolts and the trans drops out from the bottom
  • But make sure the rear of engine is supported