54 Hornet Linkage - loose or fine?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Here is a short video of the two shifter rods being moved by hand.  Anyone know if this is too much play?

https://youtu.be/rginPoeWSwM

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It would certainly feel better at the gear shift if you eliminated the  play, but it will work anyway. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Geoff is correct, changing out the rubber bushings in the ends of the linkage will not only tighten the experience it will allow the pleasure of proper shifting Hudson.   
  • BigSky
    edited September 2021
    Is there an equivalent part I might find at my local auto parts stores or is it going to be a specialized one?  I figured I’d try to find something at the parts store 1st thing tomorrow & then order them if I don’t find anything that works.

Thanks Guys!
  • Your best shot will be ordering them from Wildricks
  • BigSky
    I figured that may be my only option but if there was a local part number, that would be ideal. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    This is the real deal

• I just installed those bushings on my 46.  The originals we’re almost complete disintegrated. That plus correctly adjusting the shift linkage cable made a world of difference. 
  • BigSky
    What procedure did you use to “correctly adjust” the shift linkage with?  

• The 42 to 47 mechanical procedure manual covers it fully.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Follow the “handy shifter” adjustment shown in the maintenance manual. Page 8-28 on
  • BigSky
    edited September 2021
    Clear as mud & access is almost impossible!

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Yep, challenging sometimes, been there.
  • BigSky
    edited September 2021
    For those in need of more information here is what I did to adjust my shifter.   

I read the instructions over a few times however there is a lot of vagueness to the instructions.  Such as in 1) “the bracket centrally located” and in 2) “checking adjustment of the spring retainer”.   Therefore after speaking to my Hudson Sensei, the main thing I needed to really do is align the two arms & the center bracket by sliding the 1/4” rod in place.  

So after putting the shifter into neutral I used a Phillips Screwdriver as my 1/4” rod as it was spot on 0.249” thick.  The great thing about the screwdriver was it had a handle to help push & wiggle it up into place from below & front of the car.  I then loosened the nuts on the shift rods, grabbed the screwdriver handle & gave it a good shake.  Once it freed up I careful adjusted the nuts on each side of the rod at the arm being careful not to get it torqued in any way.  Pulled the screwdriver out & it shifted much better.  

Photo’s line below shows where the screwdriver or rod goes.  Don’t forget to oil the cap under the line as well. 

Finally I noticed my shift arm attaches to a rod inside the tube on top of the column.  So I shot some lube up behind the arm on the rod inside the tube (see arrow in picture) & worked it in as well.  Now she’s shifting well.