1930 sedan

Anyone have the measurement from the firewall to the radiator on the 1930 sedan with the straight 8, not the Essex?  Exploring engine options, don't want the standards want something fun, powerful and different.
Kyle

Comments

• I’m not sure on an exact measurement but I belive the straight 8s are only a few inches longer than the 6s of the day .
    If you don’t mind me asking why swap the engine , those straight 8s are smooth and powerful. They just can’t be reved because there splashers . Just a thought ?
     -Blake
  • I’m not sure on an exact measurement but I belive the straight 8s are only a few inches longer than the 6s of the day .
    If you don’t mind me asking why swap the engine , those straight 8s are smooth and powerful. They just can’t be reved because there splashers . Just a thought ?
     -Blake
    The reason for the swap is my father scrapped the original engine, transmission and rear end before I got the car... He told me he was going to hold onto them, then without telling me sent them to the junk yard.  If I can't take it back 100% original I figure I'll make it mine.   I'm missing lots of trim, the original serial plate and the entire interior... It's just the body shell and frame now no suspension, wheels or drivetrain. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Have you considered a Step-down engine?  it would be  roughly the same length as the original 8.  Even a 232 would have better performance than the original 82 h.p. one. 
  • Geoff said:
    Have you considered a Step-down engine?  it would be  roughly the same length as the original 8.  Even a 232 would have better performance than the original 82 h.p. one. 
    I am considering all options, anything from finding original to viper V10.... I'm not to the point of getting the engine yet just doing research.  Project won't get in the garage till after my Studebaker is done for my son hopefully before winter. 
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Just about any inline six would be a good swap. I have a jag Dohc 4.2 liter dual carb engine in my 47 pickup. Sort of twin h with 2 cams also.  Ford has a good 200 and also a 300 inch six. Or to be more different a Pontiac ohc six. The 212 in my pu was about 30 inches long and the jag is within 1/2 inch. Lots of possibilities when not using sbc
  • There is a guy of face book selling a complete 1930 Hudson 8 running gear , frame , wheels ‘steering, all of it. 
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Would a later 8 fit, eg 1934-39? Surely they would be very similar to the 1930 dimensions.