Tailgate Install

This may be a dumb question, but I have searched all around for info on this without any luck.

The tailgate on my truck was not installed properly and did not have proper hinges on it. I've got some hinges that match pretty close to the original Hudson hinges from advice in this forum. My problem is I have never seen a tailgate taken off or installed and am not sure exactly how it should be done.  I searched the forum for any info, and the web, but surprisingly was unable to find any information.

Are the hinges meant to hold a bar that goes through the tailgate to the other hinge?

If anyone had any photos of what is going on here or could try and give some advice it would be helpful. 

-Lance

Comments

• The tailgate is supported on each end by the hinge. That's it. Nothing else. The top hinge mounting screw goes into a threaded receptacle. The bottom screw requires a nut on the back side. I believe the threaded receptacle is 5/16-24 (fine thread).
  • So the portion circled in red on each hinge should fit into the sleeve on the tailgate? The ones I have are slightly too big, but if that is how they work I should be able to reduce that diameter enough to get them to fit.

Thank you for the info/help!
  • That is correct.
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Here is a picture that may help also.

• The picture does help too. This all makes sense. I just need to tighten up the diameter on the hinges I have. They are just barely too large.

Thanks for the help all!
  • Getting closer. Now that I've got my hinges fitting into the tailgate sleeves, should I be using some sort of lubricant on them as well? And if so, what works best?
  • Got it installed. Thanks for the help all!