54 jet hydro flush

Jay_G
Jay_G Expert Adviser
Simple question, on a 54 Jet with a hydromatic trans can you easily drain and refill the converter?  I see the plug for the pan but I don't see any access to drain the converter?  

The issue is the fluid is very old and brown and gooey.  The trans will lock after moving around the block which in turn locks up the engine.  If you try and start the engine immediately the engine will act as if it is locked up. Wait a few mins and everything is back to normal and the engine starts right up.  This must be why the car was parked 30 years ago....right.

I am hoping a simple trans fluid change might help.  Draining the converter will certainly help get all the old fluid out.  Can this be done easily?

Thanks Jay

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Please explain how you decided the trans was locking up and not the engine.
    If you get it hot in the yard and turn it off , does it start right up?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    So the engine will idle all day long.  In fact you can get the temp up by driving very short distance and it is just fine.  It only freezes when it is in gear.... and forward now that I think about it.  I have had it up on jack stands running and everything is good.  Engine sounds fine.  Then it starts to labor, then stops.  Wait just 3 mins for the trans pressure to bleed down and it turns over and starts easily.  

This behavior is erratic and not repeatable given engine temp or distance traveled.  Not sure if it gets wonkey as it is shifting or what.  Shifts can be hard or quite normal depends on what it wants to do at the time.  Again the trans fluid it quite nasty.

I have never seen this in an over heated engine.  Usually you have to wait for the engine to cool down.  This you don't.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    Even if hot you can turn the engine off and it will start right back up.  this does not happen every time you run the car.  It will drive short distances just fine, then it won't.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited August 2021
    Thanks for the explanation. Seems likely a trans problem the way you describe it.
    I can't answer if there is a drain on the torque converter. Likely not.
    There are manuals on the HET club forum.
    The flywheel is part of the converter I believe. Might look around on the engine side of flywheel for a drain. You can always drill and tap for a drain.
    Maybe put some high detergent flush in before you drain it.
    Sounds like maybe a valve body problem.
    Did you adjust the linkage according to the manual?
    They do some really strange things if not adjusted right.
    Good luck.
  • eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    edited August 2021
    The issue is the fluid is very old and brown and gooey. 

I think the answer is obvious, drop the pan and change the fluid.

• The issue is the fluid is very old and brown and gooey. 

I think the answer is obvious, drop the pan and change the fluid.

That is good advise, but that doesn't get the nasty fluid out of the torus cover, and it holds least four of the 12 quarts. 
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    So I looked at the manuals on line and not much help for the jet.  Stepdowns, yep, just get to the drain plug through the timing hole and pull the bottom cover.  Jets.....not so much.

Maybe I will do two changes with new fluid.  First one then put a few miles on with another can of flush then final change..
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited August 2021
    There is a 1955 Hydramatic PDF on line. Shows the Wasp has a drain in the front of 
    flywheel / converter.  I'm guessing should be the same as Jet.
    Take a look. 7/16 hex head it says.
    Otherwise your two flush approach should make an improvement.
    Not a lot of help around on Jets.
  • Jay, I have a trans, torus, and flywheel here on the floor. What I have, doesn’t have a drain through the flywheel. It has a 1/8” pipe plug through the bell shaped part of the torus cover, about 1/2” behind the flange that mounts to the flywheel.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited September 2021
    SEAFOAM IS THE VERY BEST !! HAVE USED IT SEVERAL TIMES. ADD TO TRANS BEFORE YOU DRAIN; DRIVE FOR 50 MILES OR SO.
    I HAVE USED IT ABOUT 5 TIMES ON DIFFERENT CARS AND IT IS EXCELLENT. REMOVES VARNISH, SLUDGE, ETC~~
    CHANGE ALL OF THE FLUID; NOT JUST WHAT IS IN THE PAN.