Hudson O'drive Locked Up

Hudsy Wudsy
Hudsy Wudsy Senior Contributor
A number of years ago I bought some Hudson parts at an auction. Included with the lot was a '48 - mid '52 overdrive trans. It was and still is, locked up. Neither the pilot shaft or the u joint yoke will rotate. Also, it won't shift into any gear. I didn't know what to expect when I opened it up, but it was clean and rust free. Also, I half expected to find broken synchro rings or gear pieces in the bottom, but it was clean as could be. With the top cover off, I tried to shove it into some position, but it wouldn't budge. I remember some Chevy transmissions in my youth getting stuck in two gears at once, but I can't tell if that's the case here. Anyone ever have a similar experience? Any thoughts on what might be going on with it?

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    James P. said:
    A number of years ago I bought some Hudson parts at an auction. Included with the lot was a '48 - mid '52 overdrive trans. It was and still is, locked up. Neither the pilot shaft or the u joint yoke will rotate. Also, it won't shift into any gear. I didn't know what to expect when I opened it up, but it was clean and rust free. Also, I half expected to find broken synchro rings or gear pieces in the bottom, but it was clean as could be. With the top cover off, I tried to shove it into some position, but it wouldn't budge. I remember some Chevy transmissions in my youth getting stuck in two gears at once, but I can't tell if that's the case here. Anyone ever have a similar experience? Any thoughts on what might be going on with it?
    A photo with the cover off might help. Seems like the cluster gear is bound,  
    seized bearings or broken piece jamming it. 
    Try loosening the bolts on the overdrive unit and sliding it back a little , might give a clue. 
    Why not just disassemble it? Then you'll know what condition the whole unit is in.
    It's probably worth 4 times more working then froze up.
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    James P I remeber the old Chevy transmissions very well and you are right they could get locked up in two gears at the same time.The old Chevy transmissions were two lever tranys and when they would lock up you had to go under the car and put both levers into netural by pulling on each one at a time until it poped out of gear then you would readjust the linkage so it would work rightagain. You have to remeber this is a two lever transmission I am not sure how you would do this on a signal lever tranny
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Sounds like somebody bypassed the speed control and backed up with the OD engaged.  That will bind up the unit up so tight it will have to be taken apart. 
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    Guys, thank you all for your responses. I'm sorry that I haven't been around until now to respond. I like the ides of the o'drive issue. I'll start by loosening it and take it from there. Yes, it is worth more functioning than locked up. I'll let you all know what I determine.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    If you need advise when you get into it, call Al Saffrahn
  • Hudsy Wudsy
    If you need advise when you get into it, call Al Saffrahn
    Thank you. I'll be getting to it shortly.