Adjusting Clutch Pedal 1923 Super 6

The clutch pedal in my super 6 must be pressed all the way to the floor in order to disengage it.  I would like to know how I can adjust it so the pedal doesn't need to be pressed so far down to disengage. Where is the adjustment or how do I do it.
Thanks
Robert

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The adjustment is on the clevis rod between the  fork and the clutch pedal lever.   Remove the pin, and turn the yoke in.  Don't forget to do the lock nut up tight. You should have about an inch of freeboard.
  • Thanks Geoff
    That is just the information I needed before I starting adjusting!
    Robert
  • The adjustment didn't change anything but the level of the clutch pedal. Still having a problem disengaging the clutch. Could it need a new throw-out bearing?
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    How much freeboard do you have?  What sort of oil are you using in the clutch and the transmission?
  • There is no free-board have to really stomp on the clutch pedal. Using the special Hudson clutch mix from Doug. Transmission oil the recommendation from the Hudson manual.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Has this developed, or has it been that way forever?   You only need half a pint at the most fluid in the clutch.  How far out is the pedal before the clutch starts to  engage?
  • The pedal engages just as it comes off the floor. Someone told me that maybe the "fingers" that disengage the clutch from the motor may be weak and I should replace the clutch. Any recommendations as to who to use or buy the clutch from? Maybe they can rebuild my clutch if I can get it out?
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Sounds to me like the corks are too thick.  How long has this problem existed?
  • From the day I bought the car from Denmark 3yrs ago. I have changed the clutch oil several times and made sure it was the correct fluid and at the correct level. Adjusted the foot pedal several times but problem still existed. I am sure someone else must have had this same issue and solved it.  Are you out there???

Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It sounds  to me like the clutch corks are too thick, and the only way to fix this is a complete dismantle unfortunately.  It may be possible to fit a much thicker gasket between the clutch cover and the flywheel to alleviate the problem, but if the pedal adjustment does not  work, then you have no options without dismantling, sorry.
  • I have a number of repair books for my Hudson.  Is there a sequence of steps to remove the clutch?  I guess that is what I need to do and send it to someone to rebuild? Any suggestions?
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The full instructions are on page 31 of the 1926 Service Manual.  It's not easy, and you will need assistance removing it from the car, as it is heavy.
  • I'm going to try to grease the throw out bearing first.  There is no grease cup on the floorboard so it must be under the car. I will look and try it before I take things apart.
    Still want to find that leather collar...
    Robert
  • Is the leather collar internal between the clutch and transmission?
    That would mean the only way I could check it is pull the clutch?
    Robert
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There is no leather collar that I am aware of.