Do I Need to Replace my Clutch Fingers ?

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
Should the tips of my clutch fingers look like this ?
Could they also be part of my gear shifting problem ?

Comments

• They should not look like that, and should be replaced.
  • Old Fogey UK
    54coupe said:
    They should not look like that, and should be replaced.
    Thanks, I suspected that !
    How should they look ?
    Are replacements available in the USA ?
  • Doug Wildrick would be your best bet. The tips of them should have a radius. Probably about 4-5 mm radius. I don't have one nearby to measure.
  • Old Fogey UK
    54coupe said:
    Doug Wildrick would be your best bet. The tips of them should have a radius. Probably about 4-5 mm radius. I don't have one nearby to measure.
    Thank you.
    I’ll give him a try.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If you can't find new one ones, you can rebuild them with  Hardcraft arc welding.  Just a blob on the ends and re-grind them.   Clamp the three together and grind all to the same rounded profile. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Wildricks don't sell clutch fingers only complete assemblies that would be mega-expensive to ship to the UK.
    Any other suggestions where I could get fingers, please ?
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Geoff’s suggestion for a repair method is an excellent idea.

regards, Tom
  • Old Fogey UK
    tigermoth said:
    Geoff’s suggestion for a repair method is an excellent idea.

regards, Tom
    Yes, I can get Stellite welding done locally.
    All I need is a traced outline of a perfect clutch finger to guide the amount of welding and grinding.
    Please could someone oblige ?
  • 35Terra
    35Terra Senior Contributor
    I will try looking at mine tonight and let you know.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Using a machinist radius gage set the curvature end is 1/8 radius with the relief behind the nub as shown in your photos. There is a definite curve to the ends.
  • Courtesy Man
    A profile grinder (not by hand but like tool and cutter grinder) with an 1/8 inch profile ground into the wheel at a machine shop should be able to do it. On the other hand is there not a good set of fingers someone can send to UK ?
  • Try Ron Fellows as well. He rebuilds clutches too.
  • Courtesy Man
    The Hudson Master Parts catalog 1948-54 shows different part numbers for the 9  and 10 inch clutch fingers - the Shop Manual makes note of setting finger height .005 or .010 - also the number of internal springs is different for 9 and 10 inch . As I recall you had a 10 inch plate and a 9 inch disc was mistakenly added for generous grief. You are going all 10 inch once parts are found. I found a good 9 inch pressure plate thinking the fingers all the same and had it on the hydraulic press but then checked the manual and no go.  Gert
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thank you all very much for the helpful advice, I'm really grateful.
  • 35Terra
    35Terra Senior Contributor
    Don't know if this will help but here are a couple pix. The black one is good. the silver one is worn probably like yours. The grid blocks are 1/4" square. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Looks like someone with a wire EDM or water jet could knock a lot of these out in no time!
  • Old Fogey UK
    35Terra said:
    Don't know if this will help but here are a couple pix. The black one is good. the silver one is worn probably like yours. The grid blocks are 1/4" square. 
    That is brilliant !
    Thank you x 1,000,000 !
    We should be able to work with this.