Radiator Crank Hole Cover

I'm guessing that most of these were lost the first time the car had to be cranked by hand. Of course I'm missing that crank hole cover too. Never thought about it until I read in the latest WTN that someone had spares cast for an Essex. So now I'm wondering what the Hudson and Essex covers look like. I've never seen either. Looked through all of my collected Hudson photos, and don't find a closeup of a car with one.

Does anyone have one to post a clear pic?

Yes, I'd very much like to have a complete 1928 sedan, but that may never happen. And bumpers are a priority over a crank hole cover.

Tom in New Jersey

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    try Googling it
  • KEL 39
    KEL 39 Member
    I have 1930 crank hole covers that I have recast in bronze.
    1 chromed $75
    1 polished bronze $45 

Ivan L.

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited July 2021

This is a 29 Hudson crank hole cover.
  • Thanks KEL 30 and 54coupe for posting pics of the front views. These can't be found anywhere by googling. Maybe now they will pickup the images. What does the back attachment look like? I'll never find one for sure, but maybe I can piece one together by silver brazing sheet together. Just maybe. And I could always braze a bolt to the back and screw it in permanently. I don't have a crank and I could never start it that way anyhow!

54coupe, could you give the dimensions of the triangle?

But this would be the last part to worry about. I'm probably the only one who would notice....but I'm sure that I will keep thinking about it.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Let me understand: are you looking for a 1928 (Hudson) crank hole cover?
  • Yes I am.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I have never seen a cover on a '28 Hudson, and doubt if they ever had one.  
  • The radiator shroud, lower pleated section has a fastening ridge internally around the hole to accommodate a plug or cover of some sort. It apparently twisted into place with a quarter turn. Probably not easy to get on and off without, ah ha! A wrench! I'm guessing that maybe the wheel grease cap wrench fits. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited July 2021
    Geoff said:
    I have never seen a cover on a '28 Hudson, and doubt if they ever had one.  

Here's a $300,000 Murphy body one with crank hole cover. Complete different
    Radiator cover/grille.
    All I've ever seen is a bright trim piece around the open crack hole
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That is a highly customised, one-off car.  
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I am not entirly sure 1928 Essex or Hudson had crank hole cover.
    Personally  I  feel they did not.
    I too have looked for my 1927 Essexes.

• hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Hans said:
    I am not entirly sure 1928 Essex or Hudson had crank hole cover.
    Personally  I  feel they did not.
    I too have looked for my 1927 Essexes.

I agree, I don't think they came with one either. I put a reproduction 29 one I bought from Hans on my 28. Looks good.

• Equilateral triangle with 3-1/16 per side.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    The one from me was an origional, not a repro....
  • The 29 Hudson one in the photos above is a replated original. I have had reproductions cast in red brass, but I don't have any more.
  • KEL 39
    KEL 39 Member
    I have some in polished brass that I will take a photo of and post in the next day or so

Ivan L.
  • 35Terra
    35Terra Senior Contributor
    Does anyone know what this fits? And does anybody want/need it?

Jim
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    35Terra said:
    Does anyone know what this fits? And does anybody want/need it?

Jim
    Look at Chevy , 33/34? I had one and a Chevy guy bought it.
  • 35Terra
    35Terra Senior Contributor
    Thanks!  You steered me in the right direction. Found a website that lists it for a 34-35 Chevy car or 35-36 Chevy truck.  $40 plus shipping.  I thought it might be like my 35 Terraplane cover that is harder to find than hens teeth. Since this cover has such a rusty finish that I think I will throw in the trash. 

Jim 
  • KEL 39
    KEL 39 Member
    I have 2 1929 Hudson crank hole covers Cast in bronze polished $45 ea.
    and 2 1930 Essex Crank hole covers, 1 polished bronze $45, 1 bronze chromed $75
    also 1929 Hudson Steering column support $20 
    Postage extra.
    On the crank Hole covers I have had a stud cast in and a clip and plastic washer installed 
    to keep it in place so it will not rot off like the original.
    See  photos 
    Ivan L.

• PM sent to KEL39.
  • 35Terra said:
    Thanks!  You steered me in the right direction. Found a website that lists it for a 34-35 Chevy car or 35-36 Chevy truck.  $40 plus shipping.  I thought it might be like my 35 Terraplane cover that is harder to find than hens teeth. Since this cover has such a rusty finish that I think I will throw in the trash. 

Jim 
    Please don’t throw it away 

It’s good for a unrestored driver

and surly not reproduced 

I am sure someone needs it

Just my 2 cents 

John
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    here is what origionals look like, also note two sizes Hudson, they are origionals
    /

• Hans, please resend the pics