1950 hudson

On my Hudson the clutch chatters. I just got the car about 3 weeks ago. It had been setting for soon time. Is the clutch to dry or does need replace? Free play is ok.

Dodgetruck

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Probably needs a Hudsonite change.  Are you aware that Hudson's used wet clutches?  If not you will need to read up on changing the fluid.  You can order Hudsonite from the HET store.
  • 1/3 pint of Dex III trans fluid works just fine as well. Check your engine and trans mounts for damage or excessive play too
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    If it is going to be setting for some time it is best to place a board between the depressed clutch pedal and the bottom of the seat frame.  That way the corks are not going to stick to the flywheel or the pressure plate.  I do this even if it's just overnight.
  • Thanks I will try that. The more I drive it seems to get better, I will change the fluid.

Thank all of you
  • Another thing to do is flush the clutch. Drain out what’s left of the old fluid and put in 1/3 - 1/2 pint of white solvent. Let the car warm up some but get fully hot, you don’t want the solvent to evaporate. Let this soak for a day, rotating the engine some to let the solvent get everywhere and do its job of dissolving old fluid and varnish. Occasionally warming up engine a few times helps to. Drain the solvent and run engine to help evaporate the solvent and re-fill w Hudsonite or Dex III. 
  • Thanks for that tip.  Dodgetruck
  • What would I take off, to install a glass visor on my 50 hudson?  Dodgetruck
  • Do you mean the outside visor over the windshield?
  • No the one that fits on my dash. So I could see under the visor... Dodgetruck
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    By any chance are you speaking of a traffic light viewer?

• If you find an original type with the short stub the hole to mount it is already in the dash. You can feel it with your finger. Or you can get under the dash and look up, the hole is already there just covered by the vinyl. I asked where to drill the hole in my 51, and Walt Mordenti told me it was already there, and he was right.
  • I will look. But their are medal brackets that look like they need to be removed.
  • Nothing had to be removed on my 51. I pushed an ice pick up through the hole and mounted the guide traffic viewer. Slightly to the left of the speedometer and just behind the gauge cluster.
  • I installed the viewer. The hole was not there, so I drilled a new hole and it looks good. It may have not had a outside visor, when it came from the factory.
  • 50C8DAN
    The repros also have magnetic base versions that do not need any holes.  My '50 does not have a hole either. Maybe that was a '51 and up thing?  I don't think the factory-installed outside visors was a dealer or aftermarket item, but I could be wrong. 
  • My 51 Hollywood never had a visor and still does not. Walt said the hole was there and he was right. It was just where he said Hudson put it.
  • Well I have another problem. The horns did not work. I check the voltage to the horns and they where 6volts. The horn ring did not have any play, you could not move at all. Do I need to take off the steering wheel? Thanks for all the help.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    You push the horn button  down and turn the button  i believe  to the right the contacts might need to be cleaned no need to remove the steering wheel 
  • If your car is a Hornet or Commodore w a rim blow horn, the center cap for the steering wheel lifts off to see the contacts. If it’s a Pacemaker or Super wo rim blow the center cap will push down and turn to the left to release and lift out. The contacts are copper and might have turned green. 
  • The problem is the horn ring Is wont move. I had 6 volts to the horns and the ring was stuck. So I need to free up the ring ,so as it wont short.
  • I got the horns fixed. Can you change a standard transmission to a automatic transmission?
  • 50C8DAN
    Sure you can change anything, only takes time and money.  You would be miles ahead to leave it alone and stick with the std.  Your engine is a narrow block, used for '48 - '50 engines, and was changed to a wide block to adapt the GM Hydramatic to the H6 and H8 engines.   So you will need to do all the changes underneath, for trans, column shift and will need a '51 up 6 or '51/'52 8.
  • I didn’t think the transmission and bell housing area changed when they widened the block. It wasn’t widened that much to warrant a trans change was it?
  • Changing to automatic can be done but with your motor as stated the mount is slightly different so is the crankshaft its not bored for the automatic. That can be done by a machine shop. Also the steering column is different and the crossmember has to be cut out and the insert for the hydromatic mount bolted in. The speedometer cable is different as is the rear end ratio. If you got a parts car or ask around most of these items can be found. The only thing a person probably would need to have done professionally is the crankshaft work.
  • Thanks, I will stay with the standard.
  • This is my 1950 Hudson.. I've being working on the seats and painting the engine..
    Thank for all the help........
  • Beautiful car, we’d like to see more pics when you can 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Wow!. beautiful Hudson
  • I more pictures tonight,,