towing your Hudson question

Val
Val Member
Is it necessary to disconnect your drive shaft when towing using a a tow dolly?  

Comments

• If automatic transmission, absolutely yes.
  • Val
    Val Member
    No mine is 3sp with O/D
  • You’ll be OK, but for good measure make sure the OD is turned off, locked out. As long as gear boxes and diff are full of oil you’re set. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thank you for the info. I most assuredly will be sure it's off and locked out. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    O.K. for short distances, but for long distance towing would definitely recommend removing the drive shaft.  The nose of the output shaft will be turning inside the input  shaft bearing the whole time whilst being towed.  
  • Val
    Val Member
    But that would be the case if I drove it the whole way? What would be short distance Geoff? I plan on about a 4 hour tow. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Once in top gear the  shafts are no longer rotating in each other.  The only time this happens is when  the engine is running and the car stationary, or when in lower gears.   Make sure the oil level is full, and you should be right for 4 hours.   
  • Another option is not removing the driveshaft totally, just disconnect from the rear end, duct tape the cups and everything together then secure the shaft out of the way with a strap or heavy wire. Quick and easy. Tow companies do this all the time towing semi trucks.