Temp sender

Does anyone have a part number and/or source for a new coolant temperature sender for my 54? Thanks

Comments

• Val
    Val Member
    Have you tried Lance Walker?  
  • Not yet. Hopefully he will reply here, and I can PM him.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Yeah he helped me with one for my 39. 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Dany, any idea what the thread is on the head?  
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited July 2021
    I can make the thread anything I need it to be. I just want one that works with the factory gauge.
  • The Echlin ECH TS6464 at NAPA works on my 1951.  It should work on the 54.

• cchancel said:
    The Echlin ECH TS6464 at NAPA works on my 1951.  It should work on the 54.

Thank you. I picked up the sender at Napa on Saturday. I will run out to YnZ today or tomorrow and get the voltage drop for the gauges. Thanks for the help.
  • Val
    Val Member
    HHHMMMM........wonder if that would work for my 39? It looks really similar. Almost exact from what I can tell.
  • It probably won't work on the 39.  I posted what I know about the temperature sensor in the internal forums.  Basically the sender method of operation changed in 1951 so it is unlikely that any previous gauges will work correctly with it.  Here is what I posted:

I know the Echlin ECH TS6464 fits my 1951, but the 1948-50 sender has a different thread and apparently is incompatible per a Hudson Technical Service Bulletin:

CYLINDER HEAD TEMPERATURE INDICATOR ELEMENTS

When installing a 1951-54 type engine, 6 cyl. or an 8 cyl. Head or engine in a 1948-50 car, the cylinder head must be modified to accommodate the car's original equipment type temperature indicator element.

Redesigned gauges were used starting with the 1951 models, which operate on a constant potential of 5 volts and require a different cylinder head element from that used on previous models. The newer element is 1/4" pipe thread diameter and is shorter than the 3/8" pipe part used on the earlier models, which necessitates drilling and tapping the new cylinder head. If the proper cylinder head element is not used, incorrect gauge readings will result.

To install the original element in the now cylinder head, the hole in the left side of the head must be enlarged from 1/4" pipe diameter to 3/8" pipe size by drilling out the opening with a 37/64" drill and re-tapping with a 3/8" pipe tap. On six cylinder engines the location of this element is changed from the front of the head to the rear, which will require shortening the wire slightly to correspond.

This doesn't give you the correct part, but at least it discusses why the 1951-54 temp sender won't work.

• Val
    Val Member
    Thanks for that cchancel, good info, I got one from Lance Walker awhile back and it works great. But was wondering as it doesn't hurt to have a spare. 
  • Great info. Mine’s getting installed in the poked and stroked 429 Ford I put in my 54.