Hudson's with 6 pull down shades and a tool box on the running board.

rhurst
rhurst Member
edited August 2023 in Hudson 1916 - 1929
What year and model Hudson had 7 pull down shades, only one taillight and a tool box on the running board.
Also wooden bumpers.  My guess is 1920 or 1921 maybe the first years with roll up windows.
Does anyone have any photos or knowledge about this Hudson?  The video I saw said it was a 1923 but my 1923 is very different.
Robert

Comments

• Butler says in his book that 1923 Super-Sixes "can not be definitely identified by serial numbers. But this was the last year for the intermixed numbering system introduced for the 1921-1923 period with a range of numbers from 100000 to 499999".
    The serial number for this car is 314432 so it falls in that range, i.e. it was made in the 1921-1923 period. The drum-style headlamps were introduced in February 1922, narrowing it down to 1922-1923.
    Bumpers weren't yet standard equipment at that time, and the wood bumpers could be aftermarket. I think I've found a match - the ad below says "1920s Hickory Wood Accessory Bumper. Built in 1922 and 1923 by the Hays Mgf. Co. of Missouri." The Hudson's bumpers look exactly the same to me as the bumper in the ad, with the little metal tag and all. http://www.2040-parts.com/1920s-hickory-wood-accessory-bumper-ford-speedster-race-car-brass-i1767716/

• rhurst
    rhurst Member
    Great information Anna and very good interior photos. I think this car is not original as I don't believe any were painted green. I don't see any spare tires but I do see the attachment on the side of the body by the front door. Foot plates I think are also after market as well as the double rear view mirror set up. Do you know what the metal vase looking piece is next to the mirror?  Another ash tray or a holder for a flower? You are great at finding the old pictures let's see what we can find? One other thing.  My Hudson has the front side pockets low toward the floor.  This model has them high up.  Wonder which set up is the correct one?
    Robert
  • AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited July 2021
    I checked the YouTube film again, and at 3:39 you can see the edge of the door; black or blue with bits of green paint around the edge. So I assume it was repainted green. (The brochures at hudsonterraplane.com say 1923 sedans were dark blue with black chassis, and that 1922 closed cars were valentine blue with black chassis and upper body). But it's only painted on the outside, so I doubt that the interior was affected. IIRC, the person in the film said the top had been redone, but don't you think the rest of the interior seems original? (Maybe not exactly as it was delivered from the factory, but at least not altered or renovated in recent decades.)
    The front side pockets, right below the windows, are visible in this photo. If you look closely, there seems to be another pair of pockets below them - do the lower ones match yours? In that case, maybe they were standard equipment and the top ones were optional.
    The metal vase thingy is weird, I can't find anything like it on google. The flower vases all have a deep, very narrow, glass insert that is placed in a ring-shaped metal fixture. This thingy isn't nearly as deep, and it's hardly the metal fixture for a vase because it doesn't have an open bottom; instead it looks like it's screwed onto a threaded bracket (4:25 in the film). The thingy itself has a line near the top, that looks like it might come apart, and the part "lid" is funnel-shaped inside (shows in the photo above). My guess is that it's an ashtray, that it can be screwed off from the bracket and the lid removed to empty it. The funnel shaped lid ought to help the ash stay in the ashtray when you hit a bump in the road.
  • rhurst
    rhurst Member
    Another good detective job Anna.  I agree with you on the color and that the interior is basically untouched. the inside door pulls on the front doors are just what I wanted to see. Have found some on e-bay that match. No inside door pulls for back doors but I am
    sure there were some at one time. Would love to find the "ash Tray" to add to my dash.
    I have an ash tray inserted into the top back of the front seat for the back seat passengers.  Smoking was a big thing in those days. I looked for screw holes in the wood about all the doors (replacing all upholstery) and found none.  This makes me think the only standard shades were for the three back windows. Been looking for those brackets and mine were pot metal and fell apart when I removed them. Another detective job for you? We need to find another "original Hudson" to see any variations. Thanks again for your discovery's.
    Robert
  • AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited July 2021
    So far I haven't found photos of other original Hudsons of the same age, but I'll keep looking. The 1922 Hudson sedan in this auction has a convincing-looking interior but I guess it's too well-preserved to be original? Note the door pull on the back door, and the ash trays. (Good luck finding the oddly shaped ash tray, I haven't seen it on other pics of contemporary Hudson dashes so I guess that too was aftermarket.)
    Here's the back seat of a 7-passenger sedan, from a 1922 brochure:

And a 5-passenger sedan in a 1923 brochure:

It does look like three blinds were standard, as you say! No door pulls visible, but given their placement in the auction's 1922 Hudson, they would be hidden by the pillar and front seat in these pics.
    I found the brochures at http://hudsonterraplane.com/tech/tech_index.htm , where I also downloaded Alex Burr's "General Information Handbook". He provides exact number ranges for serial numbers in the 1921-1923 period, which identify the ex-Harrah Hudson as a 1923 7-passenger sedan.
    Could it be that yours is a 5-passenger sedan, and that there were differences between the two models? Butler only mentions that when the 5-passenger sedan was introduced in 1923, "the front seat was made larger, the rear seat was moved forward, and both seats were more comfortable."
  • AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited July 2021
    rhurst said:
    Been looking for those brackets and mine were pot metal and fell apart when I removed them. Another detective job for you?
    I'm afraid the chances of finding genuine period parts are slim, especially if they're that fragile. Can you show a photo of the dismantled brackets, so I know what to look for? I can't tell from the interior photos what the individual parts look like; are the ball finials part of the broken brackets or a separate, intact, part?

• I could put you in touch with a guy who can make 3DCAD replacement parts for you. He can scan your broken or falling apart ones, repair in CAD, then have new ones printed in several different metals. Let me know if you want contact info.