A frank discussion about chrome.

So car will be painted in about a month and I am now am wrestling with chrome conundrums.  

This 51 hornet has some rough chrome especially the grill.  Now I have had some limited luck over the years picking up higher quality pieces for not a lot of money from folks who have upgraded their chrome. 

Right now things look good from a far, but not good up close.  Are there people out there that have better condition parts that are duplicates or am I going down the dechroming path?  I can live with the side rockets looking so-so because they aren't right in your sight line.  The grill though, its bubbling and rusting through and the trunk rocket and locking handle looks a bit like a teenagers face; bright but craggy. 

After all of this navel gazing I guess I have two questions.  

1.  Anybody have any "drivers grade" chrome pieces (especially grill pieces) for sale or trade?  

2.  Recommendations on chrome shops?

Thanks all, 

Ray

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    This may not be what you are interested in, but some are now stripping and powder coating what used to be chrome.  That is what I am doing to my wire wheels. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Jay Leno had a show that demonstrated spray on chrome. You would need to strip what you have.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    the rockets are to far gone. with the amount of grinding needed to remove those deep pits you will lose all the detail. the other parts may be saved i use el paso plating as does russ maas who told me to use them. good prices good quality quick turnaround. they have replated my 51 hornet convertible ,49 coupe that russ restored and parts on my 38 country club and 65 catalina. they also did parts on my 53 hollywood and 51 coupe.
  • If you're going to strip the current pieces and smooth them, you have another option. Look into vinyl wrap material. The surface has to be smooth for it to look right, but some of chrome stuff looks shockingly realistic. There is a video out there of a guy who did a bumper on a tri-five that way and it was much better looking than you'd expect. It's an option.
  • the rockets are to far gone. with the amount of grinding needed to remove those deep pits you will lose all the detail. the other parts may be saved i use el paso plating as does russ maas who told me to use them. good prices good quality quick turnaround. they have replated my 51 hornet convertible ,49 coupe that russ restored and parts on my 38 country club and 65 catalina. they also did parts on my 53 hollywood and 51 coupe.
    I have read that solder filling is an option when facing a pit.  I am guessing solder would not work for powder coat because of the heat.  Did el paso deal with the pits or am I on the hunt for new pieces.  I have two sets of side rockets already. lol.  
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    from my experience those are too far pitted.
  • Well... fudge. 

Pitted will have to do till I find (if I ever find) good pieces. 

How about the grill pieces?  They seem like real metal (not pot metal, aside from the center piece).  So are they more forgiving in refinishing?

I'm still holding out hope for some grill pieces.  

Thanks again, 
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Some of your pieces dont look too bad for a 'Driver'  however, since you removed them and having the car painted you should get them re plated and you will never regret it.. If any consolation, Hudson chrome in the early '50's was not long lasting so its very rare that you would find better pieces,..... I found a chome Shop in Ohio that ships all over that I like and did two cars for me without taking out a loan. Chroime isnt cheap however this place is the lowest I found with high quality. T&J Bumper, Dawsey Creek Rd, east of Cleveland. 440 474 4434. Tell them the Hudson guy from Pa referred you.
  • I found a place in salt lake that does only chrome. They do good work. They will be doing all of my 1950 hornet emblems, all of my door and window handles and bumpers including straighting my front 48 front and rear bumper. They are a good 10 weeks out, because they are so busy.
  • 50C8DAN
    edited July 2021
    Post your wants in the WTN classifieds.  It is free for HET members!  Some of the older members are not internet and/or forum users and these are the guys that might have what you need.  I am sure they are out there. 
  • Thank you all, 

Ol Racer, I will try to give them a call today.  Maybe they can take a look at some photos and give me an idea to potential.  

50C8DAN, if the shop east of Cleavland doesn't work out I will probably roll with my old stuff but put an ad out.  

Thanks again, 

Ray
  • I found a place in salt lake that does only chrome. They do good work. They will be doing all of my 1950 hornet emblems, all of my door and window handles and bumpers including straighting my front 48 front and rear bumper. They are a good 10 weeks out, because they are so busy.

• I called the gentleman in Ohio since my wife is driving through there next week.  He sounded like the real deal.  My wife will bring him the pieces to get an assessment.  Just lucked out with a shop not to far from a trip already being made.  I will report back with the results when there are some.  

Thanks everyone. 
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Jim & Tim, They did the Plating on three of my Hudson's and when I couldnt find a better piece for my '51 grille, they put a lot of labor in to save it and never raised the price
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    You need one like this?
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    You need one like this?
    Teaser!
  • You need one like this?
    Wow!  7X did you fall into a honeyhole at some point?  That is hopefully what mine might look like after going out to be rechromed next week.  Although if I were choosing, I'd like a trunk rocket more than the sides.  The trunk is right in your face and mine is... well, "seasoned."

In all seriousness, does anyone else have dreams, either sleeping or daydreams, of going in a musty, damp, old building that has a partially caved in roof and smells like mice pee and mold and just finding boxes of stuff like this?  

Either I'm passionate or have a sickness, all I know is I want to finish this car by next summer.  lol
  • 50C8DAN
    With some of the casting techniques, today coupled with 3D printing patterns it might be possible to make new ones of these if there is enough interest.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    edited July 2021
    For what it's worth- I don't have a '51 and would part with it. It is obviously NOS but has on little pock mark next to where the stainless attaches. It did come from a dingy old area that had newspaper in it from 1953...
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    50C8DAN said:
    With some of the casting techniques, today coupled with 3D printing patterns it might be possible to make new ones of these if there is enough interest.

I think on most of these smaller trim parts, 3D printing would be a good option.
  • Heinkel yes I love going into old buildings, sheds or garages that are musty and old smelling to see what treasures await me. Yes it is a sickness that I am proud to have and hope there’s no cure. 
  • Casting would be an amazing change. 

7X, I might take you up on that generous offer.  I have to see how mine come back from the plater.  

I will let you all know how it works out.  

• engr1962
    engr1962 Member
    edited July 2021
    I recently restored a 1959 edsel ranger.  It was loaded with chrome pieces that were "pot metal" and full of pits.  I have a chrome shop here in San Diego (pacific plating) that specializes in restoration chrome.  They aren't fast, but they weld and grind  (repeat) those pot metal parts so they look brand new.  I don't know if I can put their link in here but if you are interested I'll give you their contact info.  Well worth it

http://pacificplatingsd.com
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    engr1962 said:
    I recently restored a 1959 edsel ranger.  It was loaded with chrome pieces that were "pot metal" and full of pits.  I have a chrome shop here in San Diego (pacific plating) that specializes in restoration chrome.  They aren't fast, but they weld and grind  (repeat) those pot metal parts so they look brand new.  I don't know if I can put their link in here but if you are interested I'll give you their contact info.  Well worth it

http://pacificplatingsd.com

I need to check them out next time.  http://www.pacificplatingsd.com/
    I have been using http://www.chromeplatingin.com/ with excellent results
    3 years ago I asked for estimates for re-plaiting a set of Studebaker headlight rims.
    Prices were all over the place.