Gasket material for gas tank sending unit and pickup tube.

Simple question.  What is the gasket material for the sending unit and the pickup tube?  I disassembled years ago and are only now reassembling the gone over materials.  

Thanks, 

Ray

Comments

• Cork.
  • John Wolf Instrument repair may have them in gas resist grade. He sent me a sender gasket with my rebuilt sender.
  • Just a fyi for everyone.  John Wolf is currently not fixing sending units and does not know if they will in the future.  I spoke to him last week.  His man who worked on them exclusively has retired.  

Just a heads up. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Simple question.  What is the gasket material for the sending unit and the pickup tube?  I disassembled years ago and are only now reassembling the gone over materials.  

Thanks, 

Ray the fuel pickup tube gasket can be made easily from sheet gasket material available at your auto parts store.   The sender gasket can and should be made from cork gasket material.  Again the task fairly simple... use a hobby knife and a hole punch to cut the gasket circle and a punch to make the necessary holes for the mounting screws.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/making-your-own-gasket-is-easier-than-you-think/
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I use the cork/rubber gasket material for the pickup tube & sending unit.  However the most critical thing to do is seal it with the correct Permatex sealant.  I use this pictured & use it sparingly, a little goes a long way.  I also swap out the screws to stainless to avoid rust issues. 

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Also use button head or socket head screws in stainless
  • Thanks all!  
  • Also Doug Wildrick sells them if you don’t want to make them.