51' Hornet Value

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been in the classic car scene for sometime.  I currently have a 55' Chevrolet 3100 and a 57' Bel Air and would like to add a 51' Hornet to the stable.  There is what seems to be a nice 51' Hornet club coupe for sale in Cornish yellow with a 3 speed auto.  Restoration appears a decade or so old but overall its in nice condition inside and out.  It is a base Hornet and not a twin h unfortunately.  I rarely see these cars coming up for sale so I wondering what is a good price for one of these.  Hagerty says between $44k for a perfect 1 and $27k for an excellent 2 but I don't know how close to real money today that is.  Any help you guys may have would be appreciated!

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Looks like Twin H to me. Based on photos alone , $25K plus?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Looks like a darn nice coupe w/ Twin H!  Since it is a coupe lostmind is right if the underneath is as clean as the rest!
  • lostmind said:
    Looks like Twin H to me. Based on photos alone , $25K plus?
    Thank you for the reply and excuse my ignorance, it has a twin h carb setup but not the iconic twin h air cleaners?

Would $30k be a fair deal for both parties?
  • 50C8DAN said:
    Looks like a darn nice coupe w/ Twin H!  Since it is a coupe lostmind is right if the underneath is as clean as the rest!
    Thank you for the reply.  Underneath is there anywhere in particular prone to rust out or just the usual areas on classics?
  • 50C8DAN
    Hudsons are unibody (no body-on-frame!) and you need to check the perimeter frame especially under the back areas for rust (https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/346792/step-down-rust-issue).  If rusted badly it can be fixed but it is a lot of work and $$.  It is a Twin H regardless of the air cleaners missing.  The air cleaners can be found used.  Some like the cleaner look of the engine without them.  It looks like someone cleaned up the engine and used acorn nuts on the head bolts.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    Hudsons are unibody (no body-on-frame!) and you need to check the perimeter frame especially under the back areas for rust (https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/346792/step-down-rust-issue).  If rusted badly it can be fixed but it is a lot of work and $$.  It is a Twin H regardless of the air cleaners missing.  The air cleaners can be found used.  Some like the cleaner look of the engine without them.  It looks like someone cleaned up the engine and used acorn nuts on the head bolts.
    Thank you again for the reply and the great info!  Would the acorn nuts be considered a bad thing?
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    My concern with acorn nuts is if they are only cosmetic and not holding proper head bolt/stud torque. Gorgeous looking car - good luck.
  • 50C8DAN
    Some of the acorn nuts are no more than a slip on to the bolt tops and are only for show.
  • My concern with acorn nuts is if they are only cosmetic and not holding proper head bolt/stud torque. Gorgeous looking car - good luck.
    50C8DAN said:
    Some of the acorn nuts are no more than a slip on to the bolt tops and are only for show.
    Should these be replaced with regular nuts before the car is driven? If I purchase the car I plan to fly there and drive it back some 300 miles.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Perhaps I did not understand how the acorn nuts were used - seems like they should be just fine with the underlying bolt/stud properly torqued.  In driving it back using only non-ethanol fuel should be a priority. Or would a specific fuel additive work ?
  • Perhaps I did not understand how the acorn nuts were used - seems like they should be just fine with the underlying bolt/stud properly torqued.  In driving it back using only non-ethanol fuel should be a priority. Or would a specific fuel additive work ?
    Unfortunately in the vast majority of places in California 87 gas comes with 10% ethanol.  I use stabil for long term gas can storage for a mower and pressure washer but I drive my classics enough that I turn over the fuel every month.  
  • 50C8DAN
    I have been using 10% alcohol for my Hudsons.  I am using mid-grade in my C8 and 93 in the Hornet.  We do not have any stations that offer alcohol free fuel around here and I have not had a problem, with the exception of needing to replace the fuel pump due to the alcohol eating the diaphram.  Make sure to get one that is alcohol proof.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    I have been using 10% alcohol for my Hudsons.  I am using mid-grade in my C8 and 93 in the Hornet.  We do not have any stations that offer alcohol free fuel around here and I have not had a problem, with the exception of needing to replace the fuel pump due to the alcohol eating the diaphram.  Make sure to get one that is alcohol proof.
    So true about the fuel pumps, I replaced two mechanical pumps on my 3100 in two years.  May I ask why you use 93 in the Hornet?  From what I understand its not a very high compression engine.
  • 50C8DAN
    I have a shaved head that boosts up the compression.  It does ping otherwise on hard acceleration. 
  • The acorn nuts simply slip over the head of the properly torqued bolts they are just for decoration
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I think $30k is fair. Great looking car. Air filters are fairly easy to find, as are fender skirts (they might be in the trunk though).
  • I think $30k is fair. Great looking car. Air filters are fairly easy to find, as are fender skirts (they might be in the trunk though).
    How much do original air filters go for?
  • Some more pics of the trunk and undercarriage. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Appears to have dual exhaust. Headers or 7x adapter/manifold?
  • lostmind said:
    Appears to have dual exhaust. Headers or 7x adapter/manifold?

• The main thing to check, as mentioned earlier, is frame rail rust.
  • 50C8DAN
    This car reminds me of a guy that was temporarily on the forum a number of years ago.  He had purchased a '50C8 Club Coupe with 12K original miles.  Turns out an elderly neighbor that had been a Hudson dealer back in the day had this car as a demo in his show room and when he closed he took it home and put it in the garage and when he passed that was where it was.  I don't think I have ever seen a '50C8CC.  Anyway, the guy was in his 60s and bought the car to street rod it.  A number of folks on the forum tried to talk him out of it, or even trade him another CC for it, nope he was determined to cut it up.  I am not against doing what you want with your money but the uniqueness of the vehicle on many fronts would have given me pause to cutting up a car like this.  Anyway, hope you plan to drive and enjoy it.  BTW he vanished as quickly as he arrived on the forum and I have no idea what he ultimately did with the car.
  • Before you buy , get the car up on a lift and have a good look. Pay attention to the frame rails around the rear of the car. 
  • 50C8DAN said:
    This car reminds me of a guy that was temporarily on the forum a number of years ago.  He had purchased a '50C8 Club Coupe with 12K original miles.  Turns out an elderly neighbor that had been a Hudson dealer back in the day had this car as a demo in his show room and when he closed he took it home and put it in the garage and when he passed that was where it was.  I don't think I have ever seen a '50C8CC.  Anyway, the guy was in his 60s and bought the car to street rod it.  A number of folks on the forum tried to talk him out of it, or even trade him another CC for it, nope he was determined to cut it up.  I am not against doing what you want with your money but the uniqueness of the vehicle on many fronts would have given me pause to cutting up a car like this.  Anyway, hope you plan to drive and enjoy it.  BTW he vanished as quickly as he arrived on the forum and I have no idea what he ultimately did with the car.
    I appreciate a car that's factory, both my Chevrolet's are factory minus small, unseen changes to make them more driveable.  I certainly want a Hornet that's factory.  paulrhd29nz said:
    Before you buy , get the car up on a lift and have a good look. Pay attention to the frame rails around the rear of the car. 
    I appreciate your and everyone's feedback.  I think I will ultimately pass on this particular car.  I am not crazy about the color and the seller isn't willing to move enough on the money for it to make sense to me.  I am keeping my eyes peeled for when the right Hornet comes to market though.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Can you share the ad? Others may be interested.
  • 50C8DAN
    What is the owner asking?
  • Great looking car, but the underside does not say 30K car.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    What is the owner asking?
    $38k
    Great looking car, but the underside does not say 30K car.
    Yeah that's giving me major pause.
  • lostmind said:
    Can you share the ad? Others may be interested.
    https://www.hilineonline.net/details/used-1951-hudson-hornet/76941197