Hot '56! Someone better jump on this one!

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited July 2021
    There was a beautiful '56 twin H 308 with about every option you can imagine including AC in Seattle a couple of years ago that they had trouble selling at $9,500.

One thing that always puzzled me is why AMC agreed to buy Packard V8s only with the 2bbl option.  4bbls were definitely available in the Packard line.  A 4bbl dual exhaust option sure would not have hurt Hudson's image they had prior to the move to the Hash designs.
  • 50C8DAN said

One thing that always puzzled me is why AMC agreed to buy Packard V8s only with the 2bbl option.  4bbls were definitely available in the Packard line.  A 4bbl dual exhaust option sure would not have hurt Hudson's image they had prior to the move to the Hash designs.
    My guess is that Packard wanted to keep the  higher horsepower 4bbl engines for themselves, and not supply a competing make with equal power to what they were putting out.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Almost a $ per mile on the odometer. 

My OCD has issue with the spare hubcap being upside down.
  • $94k? Got to be kidding me
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I am sure Packard wanted to keep the top performance to themselves and have read that elsewhere, but the V8 they sold Hudson already was down on HP due to lower compression than the std Packard 320 cu V8, Hudson dealers surely could have sold a hop up kit, plus have dual exhaust as an option.  Oh well, all academic at this point anyway.  One could easily drop a 374 cu in Packard V8 with dual quads in one of these and really wake it up.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    AMC or Nash, knew in 1954 that GM would bring out new v8's in all their lines in 1955.  Studebaker and Ford already had theirs, and Chrysler would in Plymouth. They tried to make a deal for the Pontiac V8, but were turned down. Packard would supply v8's but it came with conditions.Lower compression, single exhaust, small two barrel carburetor that cranked out 208 Horsepower. The Packard V8  cars with dual exhaust and 4 barrel carburetors had around 260 Horsepower.
    Nance at Packard knew that the lighter unibody  AMC cars would out perform his Packard cars with the same horsepower.
    In 1956 Nash and Hudson received the Packard 352 v8 with the same conditions, it being 220 horsepower, and the Packard one 275 Horsepower.
    Had the  352 Packard v8 in my 1956 Hudson rebuilt with the higher compression head gaskets, and found a big Rochester 4 barrel carburetor and manifold on a Packard in a junkyard. What a difference in power, and not much difference in mileage, as I don't have to floor it very often. Will be installing dual exhausts soon, and it will then have 275 Horsepower!