Rear engine mount.

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
The Step-down flat rate manual quotes 1-1/2 hours to replace the rear engine mount.  Has anyone done this in situ? There is no hole in  the middle on the '48 C8 I'm working on, to give access to the bolt that threads into the  clutch  housing, so I assume that the engine has to be lifted up and the bolt unscrewed out from between the cross member and  housing.  Do Step-downs have a split pin through the top of the bolt like the earlier models?

Comments

• A flat rate manual refers to a level of experience per mechanic in a garage. This comes from years of experience for me. I can only guess to the best way to do what you have described
  • eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    I just looked at the 48 - 49 Mechanical Procedure Manual and there is no mention of a bolt holding the tranny to the frame like 1950 up. I guess there is no hole because there is no bolt?
  • I looked at my transmission. I have a 3/8 bolt in my 2 lever transmission through the mount. The mount is bolted by what looks like a 5/16 nut and bolt through the cross member. I hope that this helps you some. My car originally had a single lever transmission in it years ago.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I would guess 1/2 hour after it's raised up.
    Three bolts , one in center , two on outside edges.
    Jack and a block of wood.
    I'd go back to flat rate mechanic if I could get those times.
    By the way , I had a 54, my wife's driver , that the center bolt fell out.
    On left hand turn , engine moved to right and clutch linkage separated.
    She drove it home!

• Ouch there. That would suck to drive like that
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Just looked at my Hornet.  (Should have done so earlier of course).  It has a centre hole big enough to get a socket up through to remove the centre bolt. The '48 does not have this hole.    Its probably moot whether its easier to drill up through the sub frame, or just jack the engine  up.   What about the split pin?  The earlier models had one through the top of the centre bolt, and there is no way to get at this with the flywheel and clutch in place.   Also earlier models had rubber stops against the sides of the transmission to stop lateral movement.  Incidentally, I am using an improved type generic mount which would preclude this side movemeny to  a large degree.  
  • My 48 will have that center hole in the cross member real soon, when I get my hole saws home from work
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Doc Doug mentioned this in his video on Youtube - the one where he replaces a clutch plate. He mentions the differences between the early and later stepdowns re the gearbox mounts. I dont have a stepdown so I cant remember the specifics.
  • No split pin
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    54coupe said:
    No split pin
    Thank you!

• I tried to change my trans mount on 50 Super6 w OD and the rear of trans doesn’t raise up enough to get the mount out bc the rear of trans hits the bottom of the floor. Should’ve done it while I was doing the clutch. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Hopefully the transmission without o/d will aloow room for this. 
  • Yes w/o OD there is no issue of interference 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Murphy's Law:   All improvements (O/d) will have negative service  effects.  
  • Lol yes sir. I’m the mean time I’ll put up w a bit of clutch chatter until then.