step down dash gauges

This may sound odd but has anyone reset or moved the position of the fuel and temp gauges? I am thinking about moving my around so I can add an oil gauge to my car. I know that i will to redesign the gauge housing as well as the cover plate to allow the use of the additional gauge. I plan to also move the left and right turn signal a bit further out to allow for some extra room for the 3 gauges. Is this even possible to do and has anyone else done this?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    There was a participant on this board in the past who designed and built replacement gauges for Hudson dash that added functionality in the available space. I failed to capture his contact info.  Maybe others will be able to provide that to you. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Bearing in mind there are three different dashboard layouts in Step-Downs.  
  • I have a 48 super six club coupe. Can I use a later dash?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I have a 48 super six club coupe. Can I use a later dash?
    Yes the dashes unbolt and can be substituted 
  • Do you have pictures of the different kinds of dash gauge units
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor

I may be able to help... if you're patient and can put up with a guy with way too much on his plate... and poor planning skills... ? Currently working on a new set of revisions, ones that are not nearly as kludged together... Microcontroller driven electronic gauges. 
  • All of this is behind the steering wheel. Mine is in the center if the dash. How much would I have to change to put the dash pack behind the steering wheel
  • GrimGreaser
    What's the year?  I may be able to make my center cluster work... or make adjustments as needed.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    All of this is behind the steering wheel. Mine is in the center if the dash. How much would I have to change to put the dash pack behind the steering wheel
    Sorry Grim ? the dash shown is the same 1950 - 1953  install one of those instead of the existing dash... then use the Grim’ Great Gauges!   
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

I may be able to help... if you're patient and can put up with a guy with way too much on his plate... and poor planning skills... ? Currently working on a new set of revisions, ones that are not nearly as kludged together... Microcontroller driven electronic gauges. 
    Grim I got your stuff captured again!  Ken Cates
  • My car is a 48 super six club coupe
  • My car will be a full 12 volt system. I already have a working GM HEI in the engine. As well as well as a GM alternator.
  • GrimGreaser
    Ah, you have separate, round gauges in the center.   I can probably work something up with those... I can also add additional functionality to the larger speedo and clock... If your interested send me a PM. Also, while I'm here - Glow!:
    Need to check long term durability... this material is not known for temperature stability...
  • Sent you a pm