Stepdown Hierarchy?

I wish I could get this down. Have read all kinds of info, if I get it figured out, then I forget. Been working on a Hornet for a couple years, now maybe another car will come to my shop. I know it's not a Hornet, but of course to the uninitiated it looks like one. Maybe somebody could make a quick list? Like from the most deluxe car on down. The Jet is a little car, correct?

But we got Hornet, Pacemaker, Wasp.........maybe something else. And Commodore. Thanks!!

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Super six , Super 8 , Super wasp , Hornet Special. Add to your list. Order is not correct, 
    some models only made some years.
    Someone will list them chronological for you.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

From my website 
  • Thanks! I'll copy that little chart.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2021
    For some reason the left column shows 13 lines, while the model number list (at right) shows only 12. 

Now let me confuse you with more trivia:

The "heirarchy" of the StepDown Era would start with the Commodores at the top of the heap from 1948 through 1952 (6 and 8 cyl, std. wheelbase)

The Supers (sixes and eights, std. wheelbase) were the lower priced model, made from 1948 through 1950.

In 1950 the Pacemaker (6-cyl) was introduced as a short wheelbase lower-priced model. 

In 1951 the Hornet ( 6 cyl)  and Commodore (6 & 8) were the expensive Hudsons.  The Super series was discontinued and the Pacemaker was the (6 cyl., short wheelbase) lower priced Hudson.

In 1952 the Wasp (6 cyl) joined Pacemaker (6 cyl.) as the lower priced Hudsons.  Commodore and Hornet were the more expensive series.

In 1953 Commodore and Pacemaker were dropped.  Hornet continued as higher-priced model and Wasp became the sole lower price model (6 cyl, short wheelbase).  Jet was introduced as Hudson's compact car (6 cyl, avail as Jet & Super Jet).

In 1954 (Hudson's last year as an independent), Hornet was top of the line (Hornet Special was somewhat lower priced), Wasp was lower priced, short wheelbase, Jet and Super Jet were the compact car

Now you know more than you ever wanted to.  And I don't guarantee that I'm 100% correct.
  • ^^ I think I'll print this and put it on the wall!
  • Don’t forget about this for 1953. The Wasp 6 cyl was a 232 1bbl and the Super Wasp 6 cylinder was introduced which had a 262 2bbl
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Don’t forget about this for 1953. The Wasp 6 cyl was a 232 1bbl and the Super Wasp 6 cylinder was introduced which had a 262 2bbl

And the 262 could be ordered with Twin H, which was different from the 308 Twin H. Linkages were different as it utilizing a smaller carb flange.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Hudson would have been wiser to reduce the number of models when the Hornet came out.  There were too many variations of what was basically the same model.

• Thanks everybody. What I wound up looking at is an intact 51 Commodore 6, and a 51 Commodore 6 parts car. Probably wind up in my yard........as if I needed any more projects.
  • we always need more projects