Wiring help needed

I'm rewiring a 47 SS Sedan and could use a little help. I have replaced the old engine bay harness with a new one from Narragansett Wiring. My problem  is the the order of the six wires from the new harness to the connector plug at the firewall. The new harness was just short due to me not being able to use the original 6 post male side of the connector plug.

Attached are three pics. The third pic shows a diagram of how I think they go but could use some verification as I am not getting any power to the fuel or temp gauges or the gen or oil signal lights.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Should be in the owner's manual..
  • Should be in the owner's manual..
    Should be but it is not, or at least I can't find it
  • Glowplug said:
    Thanks for sharing these but the diagram in this link for 46-47 is the same one that is in the manual and does not show the order of the 6 wires in the firewall plug.

I was hoping someone with specific knowledge of the 47 wiring system or who owns a 46/47 or has rewired one might be able to help. Thanks
  • Have you tried contacting the company you bought it from? If they are making the harness, they should know where the wires go.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You said, "...due to me not being able to use the original 6 post male side of the connector plug."  Are you missing that plug (or is it unusable)?   Would it make things easier if you had one?   If so, you might want to publish a photo of the old one, here, and ask if one of our forum members or Hudson vendors has one to sell you.  Or, this may be a common connector that is still being sold by one of the antique car suppliers.
  • Jon B said:
    You said, "...due to me not being able to use the original 6 post male side of the connector plug."  Are you missing that plug (or is it unusable)?   Would it make things easier if you had one?   If so, you might want to publish a photo of the old one, here, and ask if one of our forum members or Hudson vendors has one to sell you.  Or, this may be a common connector that is still being sold by one of the antique car suppliers.
    Jon, I do have the plug , it is not usable and the colors of the wiring cloth that is left is not quality enough to determine the colors. I don't plan to use the oem type connector.

If possible perhaps someone who has a 46/47 could look at their plug connector and determine the order. I think 3 of the wires are now in the correct position but still can't get power to some items.
  • 54coupe said:
    Have you tried contacting the company you bought it from? If they are making the harness, they should know where the wires go.
    The Narragansett Wiring website is still on line but the phone number listed is "no longer in service"
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The wiring diagram in the shop manual doesn't even indicate that there's a connector anywhere along the lines, let alone which wires go to which terminals in the connector. The diagram does show which color wire belongs to which circuit.  Have you tried doing a continuity test to identify which new wires (on both sides of the connector) go to which circuits?
  • The wiring diagram is useless for this problem, I do know and understand the color coding of the wires per the manual and Narragansett Wiring was spot on with the color coding of the harness they built.

I have checked all the circuits but without knowing the correct sequence of the plug circuit testing won't help. I have already melted one wire due to an attempted incorrect sequence.  

I believe the firewall plug/connector to be factory correct, surely someone else has the same setup on their 46/47