308 Front Crank Seal?

We scored a nice running 53 for our project. So nice we didn't consider pulling anything apart, but now we got a leak up front. I have a 54 Motors Manual, looked at it today it suggests everything can be addressed with pulling the timing cover. Does that sound right? I'll search old posts tonight, but I know you guys don't mind questions. Thanks!

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Yes the front crank seal is installed in the timing chain cover.  Dale Cooper, Maas family, others can sell the seal as a stand alone item.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Part numbers for the front seal may not be available now. 
  • Thank you Glowplug!
  • I've bought them from my local bearing house as well. they can match it up by knowing the I.D, O.d. and the thickness. It's not unusual to have to replace the spacer that the seal rides on ( and wears a groove into ). Sometimes you can just turn it around so the seal has a new, fresh area to rise on. If you need a new spacer, the guys mentioned above will be able to provide one.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    In this link there is info on how to flip the piece the bearing rides on.  I chose to buy a new seal & crank bearing from Dale Cooper instead of using the old one.

https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Oil%20leaks.pdf
  • Okay, I got all this saved. Thanks again.