Hudson 8 tappet covers. '34-'52

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
Wondering if the shield inside the tappet covers, with the six  ears, do the the ears sit inside the block, or the covers?  I have found them located both ways, and inevitably the ears are distorted.  Currently working on a '48 Commodore 8 coupe with copious leaks out the side covers.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Geoff 

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    can you post a picture of what you call tappet covers with six ears ?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Haven't got a pic, but I'm not actually talking about the external covers, but the internal flat plate that fits inside the recess of the  tappet cover itself.   This flat plate has breather holes in it, and six ears at right angles to the plate itself, about 1/4" long.  In most cases these ears are distorted and bent, and the plate does not fit neatly, so I am wondering if the plate goes between the block and the  gasket, or sits in the tappet cover itself. 
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Here’s a picture of my 49 Hudson 8 valve covers.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thanks muchly, as I suspected the ears go inwards and sit inside the  block openings.  
  • On my survivor 34 the plates being quazi new here are the photos. The small legs new condition; are well directed side plate. It centers perfectly with the plate. Nos jointes also

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    So they changed the position in the Step-down years by the looks of it.  As you say, this fits perfectly in the cover.  thank you for picture jack. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Mine are exactly the same as Jack's, Geoff.