1946 Super Six stuck rear brake drum

Hi Everyone,

Going through the brake system, the fronts came right off, the back drums, well they are both really stuck!

I have the center nut loose, and a drum puller bolted onto the drum.  I tighten the center bolt up (really tight!) and it still just doesn't budge.  Not sure how hard to drive it to get it off.

The brakes are backed off from the drum too.

Any insight, greatly appreciated.

/dan

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Patience!   Plus a little heat around the centre of the hub.   Make sure you have left the nut on, loosened off, otherwise it could fly across the workshop when it breaks loose.  
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    You might try an air wrench instead of the dog bone.  The vibration sometimes helps.  When using the 'dog bone' support the axle or the springs will absorb some of the shock you need.
  • You have the correct puller, right? Attaches to the lug bolts, not trying to pull from the edge? Keep spraying a good rust breaker, like Kroil on it. Give it a few whacks every day. It will come off eventually. Patience is a virtue. Some people use an impact gun on the puller nut. Claim this works well.
  • Thanks everyone for your responses.  I am using a puller from my 1952 MG TD, it has 3 arms, bolted to the drum, with the center pushing against the stud from the axil.  I drowned the shaft in WD40 but I may need to step up the solvent war.
  • ken1962
    ken1962 Member
    Wd40 doesn't do nothing but make a mess. Use a penatracting spray... Its finer than Wd40 and really gets into a stuck item... Leave Wd40 to use on displacing water and protecting items from rust... Its too thick and sticky to work moving stuck items cheers ken 
  • Get an impact on the puller, works everytime with less effort. I’ve done this recently with two cars that sat for decades buried in the sand and weeds. 
  • Update: I was able to get the drums off, I bought a new puller with a solid tool, and after blocking the hub with some heavy steel, I could stand on the breaker bar, and eventually it popped loose with a BANG. 
    Thanks to all you replied, on to the next task!