Need 54 Hudson Hornet Radiator Hose

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I am in need of new radiator hoses & per Ken’s step down page I see a number for an upper hose.  I can’t find a number for a one piece lower hose radiator hose as mine does not have the metal elbow. (See below picture)
 Anyone know of a part number for something that works as a one piece hose?

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Take the hose to a parts store and match it up with one that looks close if you have no number
  • BigSky
    I’ve successfully done the “hose match game” for decades.  I was hoping someone would have already played that game & have a part number so the wheel didn’t need to be re-created.  It’s not a big deal for me to find a hose that will work but it does make me wonder about the next generation of Hudson owners to come…

Ken has a great website on the step-down (48-54) Hudson information.  However, I wonder “what” or “who” will still be around in 20 years to help those willing to take a chance on an orphan Hudson.  I’ve seen a lot of people leave Hudson ownership over the years & move on to other marks.   Many other makes (orphans & others) have such easy on-line reference data bases, it makes me wonder what role things like that will play in the future of Hudson.

If it’s hard to work on, find parts & knowledge on an old Hudson few will try, especially since so few younger individuals have any mechanical skills.   
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Someone a few years ago was remaking the elbows but don't remember who was doing that.  It would make it a lot easier than having to find the close-to-fit rubber hose.
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    21 century Hudson might have what you need
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The “ connector” is a means to keep the hose outta the fan.   Using a piece of exhaust pipe of the correct size will accomplish what the OEM piece is meant to do.  In my vehicles I have pieces that were slightly bent at an exhaust shop <$10 for this piece.
  • BigSky
    New one piece hose installed, perfect fit. 

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    please send the information and part number to Ken so he can put it on his site so none of us have to reinvent the wheel again!
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    I had read at one time that the metal elbow also kept the hose from collapsing when the hose got hot, which would then restrict water flow and cause the engine to overheat or run hot.  Apparently the water pump can draw quite a bit of water.  I think a hose with coiled steel wire inside would also serve the purpose.  My 2 cents.
  • BigSky

Coiled steel wires in the hoses rust & come apart & will then ruining water pump impeller.  I was very lucky the cooled wire pieces didn’t get far enough in the water pump to do damage.  The hose used is heavy duty  & reinforced so it won’t collapse.
  • I got this in Nebraska. I think it's what you are looking for Bro. It is in front of the U-clamps that are for the front sway bar.