31 Essex flywheel

I just purchased a 1931 Hudson Essex Super Six and after trying to start it, pulled the starter and see that there are several teeth missing.  Does anyone have an idea where to get a flywheel for a 31 Essex Super Six?  

Comments

• I have one from a 29 or 30 Essex (do not know which) in rough “boat anchor” condition.  It appears to have all the teeth and the clutch face is covered with grease or old fluid so may need only minimal resurfacing.  If you have any dimensions from yours it would be helpful.  Take a look at the pics, ask any questions.   Yours for the cost of shipping.  It and the clutch have been in the shed for about 40 years.  
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
     Flywheel  ring gear for 1930 and '31 are the same.  1932 E and Hudson 6 may be the same too.

1929 is smaller in diameter.

I do not have my directory from .Hershey a year ago, handy

but I did purchase a 1930 Essex ring gear and they had more available.

• GumpY159, I will compare when I pull mine.  Do you think it will work okay in that condition?  I will check the measurements and get back to you soon.
  • Hans, thank you for the information.  I will know more once I can take measurements.
  • I have a complete  30 engine  transmisson  that turns  pulled out of a car 2 years ago.   Rear different axles  front axles  steering box  brake shoes available  if you're looking  . Carb air filter  and  starter  to
  • Sorry it took so long to get back on here.  Lots going on.  I have the flywheel out and the ring gear removed.  Looking for the ring gear for the 31 Essex.  If you have one you can part with, please let me know. GumpY159, mine has 107 teeth.  If you need any other measurement, let me know.  Also, Ted, I would be interested in discussing some of the parts if you still have them.   
  • eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    Hans said:

I do not have my directory from .Hershey a year ago, handy

but I did purchase a 1930 Essex ring gear and they had more available.

I have a Hershey directory handy. What's the guy's name or company?
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I am sorry, I donot recall the name, and have not found my directory. 
  • My flywheel has 107 teeth,  the whole unit needs a complete cleaning and matching of mated surfaces (clutch face, center bearing, threads etc.). The offer stil stands of course but get all the measurements first just to be sure.
  • Keep in mind I did call it a “boat anchor”
  • GumpY159, the inner measurement of the ring gear is 12 5/16 and the out measurement is 13 5/8.  Is this the same as yours?
  • Hans, did you come up with the info on where you purchased the 30 ring gear?
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I found my Hershey directory, while I do not recall the name of the vendor I  purchased the ring gear from......there is a listing for gears-transmission, axle.

James Hernke  from  Waukwsha, Wi.

the address and phone # show up on google.

I will try to check for you tomorrow, late now.

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I called the only entry for gears, a Mr James Hernke, he has only Buick parts.

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Under 051  Axles parts and bearings there are two co listings.
    called Rockey Mtn relics,  no Essex parts

Other one no answer today............

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    I do not how much help this will be but is the 8 cylinder flywheel the same as the 6 cylinder one because there is a person parting out a complete 1931 8 cylinder car on ebay.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, the 8 cyl flywheel is identical
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    sent you an email with phone number to check out
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I have no connection with this person, but did purchase a 1930 ring gear from him at Hershey in 2019.

Got a lead from Hershey directory under gears  291.

just got a return call from Mr. Al Suehring.
    email RINGal.suehring.com   drop the RING

715-6 seven 7 - 3 eight  zero 9

He will need your ID and width

best wishes
    Hans