Need 54 Thermostat & Radiator Cap

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Does anyone have information on what temperature thermostat the 54 Hudson Hornet uses & a part number?  Also need a radiator cap.  Anyone know the correct pound cap & part number?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    160 F thermostat and 7 lb cap,  
  • BigSky
    I popped off the thermostat housing, as best I can since one arm is in a sling post surgery.

The thermostat matches exactly to a Gates 33036 (160 degree F). 
    The radiator cap matches to a Stant 10206 also known as a Napa Balkamp 703-1411, both 7 pound caps & the correct depth for the stock neck.
  • Other boards, other makes of vintage cars, I often see it stated 160 degrees isn't really hot enough. Is 160 generally considered proper for the 308?
  • BigSky
    I’ve heard 160 is pretty standard.  If I was driving it year-round like I did 30 years ago in midwest winters, I’d choose 180 degree thermostat.  
    Since it’s only going to be driven in 50 degrees or higher weather, 160 degree thermostat is fine with me. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited May 2021
    This is part of my cooling page on my website. 

• BigSky
    Glow plug, thank you for sharing that info, I reference your website often as it is a great resource!  I just hadn’t been able to find that information yet.  

One thing I still wonder is with my thermostat housing having the bypass (but the bypass is blocked off), does the big circular area above the thermostat block flow?  See picture:

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Yes that is where the plug is installed as per the information on my site .
  • BigSky
    Does this style of housing vs the one with out the bypass cause flow &/or cooling issues?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Adding a plug to the bypass forces the coolant to go through the radiator and obtain the fullest benefit of reduction of engine heat.  The original thermostats were bellows type which fit the housing.  The bellows type shut off the bypass during operation to preform the same action the plug does.  Adding the Gates thermostat will maximize the amount of water that being processed.   If the Gates thermostat or Wagner etc were used without the bypass plug the ability maximum water through the radiator is diminished by the bypass.   Hope this clarifies.