Comment on Wire Wheels

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
I just wanted to pass along a note that some of you probably already know about.  Wire wheels may look good but are a PITA.  One of the previous owners of my '54 Hornet put wires on it and I thought initially it was cool and I could clean them up. I am not sure the wheel make, but not sure it really matters.  The bottom line is they are rusty and chrome is peeling off.  There is no point trying to replate them as trying to take them apart would be suicide and I would have no clue how to reinstall the spokes with the proper tightness.  The insides and around the rims are also rusty and no amount of chrome cleaner is going to clean them up.  I am leaning towards having them sandblasted and powder coated red leaving the center caps chrome (they are stainless!).  My suggestion to anyone thinking of going this route is to either 1) clean and DRY them regularly (a major pain) or 2) buy a set from The WheelSmith as they have a stainless spoke and nut option that will not rust.  They will also before assembly powder coat the rims any color you like or leave them chrome.

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Powder coat will last a long time    its very durable most solvents wont hurt the paint also
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Anyone have a good source for chrome stripping and powder coating?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    I had a set of Stepdown Wire wheels sandblasted and Powdercoated at my local 'Perfect Coat Franchise' and they were reasonable and are lasting a long time. Perfect Coat has many colors to choose,